FMP and ultradev 4

This topic is 8531 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

As a DB newbie, i will try to explain this, please do not flame me for newbie stupidities. smile.gif

At the office i am able to connect UD4 on my NT machine to a MS Access DB, while using a BEA server. Though i accomplished this today, i am already cooking up some JSP pages that allows me to update/delete records in the Access db and also perform login/logout functions. Thought this was pretty easy, i want to do the same thing (building jsp pages) at home, on a Mac (G3/233mhz/192ram).

On the Mac i have copy of UD4, FMP5 and i have a Java server running. I was able to make UD and my java server communicate, but also make UD recognize the FMP DB. For the sake of it, i was running the "Collections.fp5" template. Again, i was able to make UD recognize the FM db, however, the fields in the FM db could not be displayed.

What i did to get to this point was opening up the ODCB Data Source Admin in the control panels of the mac, create a new record using the ODCB 3.11 FMP PPC driver and filling in "test "in the datasource and desciption lines. After saving these settings, i opened up UD, under modify>connection i choose "new", choose the "Sun JDBC ODBC" driver, named it "test" and pressed the build-in test button. A dialog appeared saying that the connection was successfull. In UD4, i tried to add a server behavior in the databindings panel, i choose the "test" connection, but none of the fields of the FMP's Collections.fp5 db showed up.

Does any one know what i did wrong? Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

• Newbies

I have tried out the problem you mention but in win, it can work. But i'm not using java server.

The last paragraph u mention is almost correct.

But did u define the site?

• Newbies

The plus side in windows is that under the ODBC control panel you can select the database you want to use, and what name you want to give the bridge option. In a mac environment i am sure you cannot di this. I assume this is where i make a mistake, unfortunately do not have to knowledge to correct this

I did define the site. I create both locally and at the java server root a folder called "TestSite", UD has no problem checking in and files between these two directories, even compiles the JSP pages via the "check in browser" function.

I've currently using UD4 on the Mac running JDBC to a MySQL server running on Linux.

The Linux machine is running Apache and Tomcat (aka Jakarta) for serving the JSP pages.

Works like a charm but was quite a challenge to setup on the Linux side. For the Mac side, I am using UD4's new feature of using the web server for database connectivity, this way I didn't have to mess with JDBC or any other headaches on the Mac, it simply use the Linux box to serve pages for me in Design mode and Runtime mode.

I did have UD1 (the version before 4) running with the rmijdbc driver on the mac talking to a Windows NT Server running rmijdbc to a MS Access database without any problems. In fact it was quite easy once I starting searching the web on tips using www.deja.com.

I didn't know that FMP5 had a proper ODBC-JDBC bridge in it, I'll have to have a look around.

Try doing some searches on www.deja.com of the newsgroups with keywords like "ultradev" and "filemaker" and you might get lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Okee, stupid me, apparently i had forgotten to turn on the "Local/Remote Sharing Access" of the database I wanted to use.

No that i have resolved this problem, does anyone know if WebStar Server Suite 4.3 can do the same job as my home brew java server? If so, how do i configure WebStar?

A thank you goes to all who gave me advice!

This topic is 8531 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.