How to default to end of a text field?

This topic is 8535 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a text field in a filemaker db which I am using to store notes. The text extends beyond the frame boundaries and I use scrolling to access different parts of the document.

Here is the difficulty. If I scroll to read a particular position, and then select another window- either a different filemaker window or another application window, then the pointer position automatically scrolls back to the top of the document.

This is a big problem if I want, instance, to see the bottom of the filemaker record while inputting into another application or into another filemaker window.

How do I make filemaker maintain the "pointer" position in a field when switching applications or windows?

Thanks in advance!

dan

I've had the same problem. When I found that even putting the notes in a related field or different file didn't do the trick, I came up with the following:

Create another file, NOTEPAD

Create one layout, with one global field. Size the global field to whatever can accomodate a useful chunk of text from your 'notes' field in the other file.

Size the NOTEPAD window to just fit round the global field.

Write a script to run on opening NOTEPAD which toggles the window to the restored size.

In your main file which has your scrolled 'notes' field, add a button on the layout near the field. Format the button to call a script which opens the NOTEPAD file.

To make it work, each time you want to "pinpoint" some text, select, then copy it to the clipboard. Click the button which opens the NOTEPAD file and paste the clipboard text into the global field. You might want to add a button to "clear" the global field.

This isn't the best of solutions, but it's quicker and easier than all that scrolling!

• Newbies

Thank you Alison. A kludge and doesn't hold the place in notes if you want to add more, but certainly a way to keep text visible for refereence.

Appreciate the reply. Perhaps Peter can inspire FM to track the pointer in a future version.

dan

This topic is 8535 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.