Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Printing Two Columns (Down vs Across)

faaslave

This topic is 4528 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have run into something that doesn't make sense to me.

Under layout, when you select printing with two columns and select down instead of across, the columns also affect the sub summary parts.

This might have uses but in the report I am trying to make, I want it to only affect the body. I don't see an option to keep the column split in the body only when selecting "down".

If you are making a contact list with sub summary fields, you would only want the body to print down in two columns.

If I choose across, everything works fine but it doesn't look good and wastes space.

If I choose down, it looks fine except the body is going to cut through every section.

An across version and a down version is attached.

Is there a work around for this?

Thanks,

Dave

across.pdf

down.pdf

If I choose down, it looks fine except the body is going to cut through every section.

I am not sure what you mean by that.

Regarding the sub summary parts, they MUST be the same width as the columns when you select "Down first", because a group may change mid-column (your example shows two such changes on page 3).

Thanks Comment,

That is my question. Why can't I just have the body in two columns without the sub summary parts. Then if the change comes mid-column, it could page break.

When printing a contact list, you want to print down. The list is very big, so it is nice to have sub summary groups. I guess I can't have both. I was hoping there was a work around.

Dave

Why can't I just have the body in two columns without the sub summary parts.

You don't have to have sub-summary parts on your layout. But if you do, and you print down first, they must be the same width as the columns - otherwise it will be one giant mess.

if the change comes mid-column, it could page break

OK, then why not use the header part for the sub-summary titles? You could make it calculated, so there's one version for starting a new group, and another for "continued".

OK, then why not use the header part for the sub-summary titles? You could make it calculated, so there's one version for starting a new group, and another for "continued".

That sounds perfect. I am not sure how that would work, but I like the sound of it. In the Header I would have a calc field that displayed the correct header using a case statement? I will try and work on that idea.

Thanks,

Dave

The calc didn't work,

Try an unstored calculation field (result is Text) =

Case (

City = GetNthRecord ( City ; Get ( RecordNumber ) - 1 ) ;

City & " continued"

)

but I ended up with a real nice product. I took your advice and kept everything in the header.

When I run the script, it goes to the new layout, everything works, and it ends up in preview mode where I want it. The only strange thing is, as usual it does not show how many pages are there, just a ? until you go to the end and back.

So in the script I put "Go to Record/Request/Page Last" then "Go to Record/Request/Page First"

It still didn't work. What is the trick to make that work?

Thanks,

Dave

post-71360-0-82685800-1322965695_thumb.p

I see what I did wrong now. Very handy calc.

I also found out that some of my scripts that work great on my mac, do not work on Windows 7.

When my script runs and produces an email with a created exported file, the file isn't in the body when run on windows.

It must be something about the file path. First time I have had to deal with a windows computer running this.

Dave

Dave not sure if this would work in your situation but here is a technique file I did that gave some benefits of DOWN & ACROSS

SD

http://fmforums.com/forum/files/file/12-multi-column-printing-faux-down/

post-71360-0-91290000-1322975266_thumb.p

Wow, Thanks.

I downloaded it and will take a look at it. I have to figure out this windows issue first. Working on filemaker is just like having a puzzle book handy.

I guess that is why I like it.

I think I found the part that I need to fix. I assume I need to figure out what path to place in here for windows.

Dave

here are two custom functions that may help..

https://github.com/petrowsky/fmpfunctions/blob/master/file.setpath.fmfn

https://github.com/petrowsky/fmpfunctions/blob/master/file.ospath.fmfn

This topic is 4528 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.