Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Setting up IWP and host computer - newbie question

This topic is 4498 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm investigating setting up IWP for a FMP 8.5 database on WinXP SP2, and I've been going through this document:

http://www.filemaker...ant_web_pub.pdf

My question is simple - does FMP have to be installed on a web server for this to work? I've tried on my own computer and the IP address it gives me by default is for my wireless router. I used port 591 and I can access the database through the browser this way, but people outside on the www cannot.

The instructions tell me I need to have "a Windows- or Mac OS-based computer running FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server Advanced,

enabled for Instant Web Publishing" and refers to this as the 'host computer' but it's not explicit that they mean the host should be a web server.

Sorry for the probably really obvious question but any help would be appreciated,

rori

but it's not explicit that they mean the host should be a web server.

IWP does not use a webserver to deliver content - IWP is actually a webserver in its own right. You just run FMServer Advanced or FileMaker Pro and enable the IWP facility. In fact you cannot use a web hosting service to deliver IWP content.

The most likely reason the www cannot see your databases via IWP is that you have not set up your internet router to allow the traffic - you should forward port 591 to the internal IP address of the machine that is hosting the file(s).

This topic is 4498 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.