Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Layout visibility base on privileges and platforms

This topic is 4425 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am desiging a database that will be used by our staff in various countries on various platforms (iPads/iPhones/computers). I want to make the layouts and menu items only visible and accessible based on privilege set and their platform, but without cluttering the Layout Menu. I would appreciate if anyone can offer some advice on any possible improvements to my design.

My database has a range of tables (e.g. contacts, intelligence, events, correspondence), as well as a couple of privilege sets (e.g. Manager, Director, Big Boss). Not all tables are interesting to everyone, and some are Big-Boss-only. The database is hosted on FileMaker Server 11.

The database is currently set up such that, upon log-in, the database will bring the user to a layout (Landing Pages) specific to their privilege set. Each Landing Page has its own buttons that bring the user to other layouts again specific to the privilege. For example, Manager-Landing Page only have buttons to access Contacts, Events and Correspondence; while Big Boss-Landing Page only have buttons to access Contacts, Intelligence and Events, but not Correspondence (not interested).

The idea is to incorporate some sort of security as well as avoid cluttering the Landing Pages for staff with layouts/tables that they won't need anyway. I have configured the layouts so that they are only visible based on privilege settings (but not platforms). The Layout Menu itself is organised into folders, for example all layouts from the contacts table are grouped under the Contacts folder.

The issue I then have, is that I end up with a lot of empty folders that other staff have no access to its contents (e.g. an empty Intelligence folder) - Sooner or later somebody is bound to start requesting access and stir up office politics.

If there is anyway to improve my current design I would greatly appreciate your suggestions and advices.

Many thanks,

MacGuffin

p.s. I'm not sure where to post this topic so I placed it here, seeing that it has security and layout components in it. If this is misplaced I kindly thank the administrators for moving it elsewhere more appropriate.

The UI is not part of the Security schema. Just because you haven't placed an item on a layout for a Group does not mean they can get to it. You might want to go back and think about what it is you want to grant access to or block access to for a given Group.

You can differentiate among Macintosh OS, Windows OS, and iOS using the Get(SystemPlatform) function.

Steven

This topic is 4425 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.