FM 12 Value List error trapping?

ron G

This topic is 4103 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a working portal with 2 fields:  Degree (holds 1 2 or 3) and Description.  The description is part of a Dynamic Value List (based on degree) and it works great; sort of.

The problem is a user sometimes forgets to first indicate the Degree but instead clicks the Description fields which then shows "<no values defined>".

Question:  "Is there a way to trap / eliminate the <no values defined> message and substitute a user friendly reminder like "You need to first supply the Degree".

Thanks

Would a script trigger catch the error if it was set to OnObjectEnter?

I did that and it works.... sort of.   Even Using OnObjectEnter it still shows the <no value defined> error before it brings up the message dialog.   I would like to eliminate the <no value defined> error and substitute my own.

post-72145-0-17410100-1361311254_thumb.j

Set auto-enter (Replace) on Description with:

Case ( Degree ; Self )

which says ' if there is Boolean number in Degee leave Description to whatever it is but if no Degree clear the field.'

Then attach trigger OnObjectEnter to Description with script:

If [ isEmpty ( Self ) ]

Show Custom Dialog [ "Enter Degree first " ]

Go To Field [ Degree ]

end If

Thanks Laretta; but I can't get it to work. 

First, the 'self' function is rejected.  So, I substituted the name of the 'description' field (Which in fact is called 'Proficiency')

When I run the script (see below) I still see the 'no values defined' ?????

What am I doing wrong?

post-72145-0-41266800-1361393761_thumb.j

post-72145-0-47696300-1361393769_thumb.j

Please try the attached.  Yes, you will need to use the field for the script portion.  I use the auto-enter (replace) all the time with conditional value lists - I just remove the value and don't tell them, LOL.  If they complain then they are told how it works.  You can also add a message to the auto-enter.

test.zip

Edited by LaRetta

Please try the attached.  Yes, you will need to use the field for the script portion.  I use the auto-enter (replace) all the time with conditional value lists - I just remove the value and don't tell them, LOL.  If they complain then they are told how it works.  You can also add a message to the auto-enter.

Thanks for the test file.  I can see that it clearly works and the code is almost identical to mine. 

But, my code, when I click 'down' on the mouse to select the Description with no Degree selected, still shows <no values defined> until I let up on the mouse.  My guess is that my value list is DYNAMIC and yours was not.  I also guess that there is no way to get rid of the 'mouse down' display of <no values defined>? 

If so, it is still a good solution ... just not perfect ....

Thanks

AENewman

Ah, it's a pop-up.  Pop-ups won't fire OnObjectEnter.  Switch it to a drop-down.  Another option to hide the <value list missing> is to turn off entry to the field and just attach a button which tests and then goes to the field once a value in Degree has been confirmed.

EDITED ... I also noticed that I said after custom dialog to go to the Description field but it should be returning User to the Degree field.  Sorry for the error.  :crazy2:

Thank you very much.  I would never have suspected that Pop-ups don't fire OnObjectEnter.  (Is this an undocumented 'feature'?)

I changed it to a DropDown and it works as desired.

(I grocked that mean to use the Degree field....)

Thanks

If you were running debugger you would have noticed.  :^)  I tease you because everyone (including myself) needs reminding when first using Debugger to actually use it for all testing.  You will be amazed what you can see through its eyes as you walk a script.

I don't know if it is documented somewhere but FMI has been told repeatedly by many folks who consider it a bug (besides me).  Checkbox and radio button also fail OnObjectEnter.  The thing is ... it DOES fire but it fires AFTER you make a selection from the pop-up.  And you can include a Revert Record and return it to the prior value by the script.  To me this clearly is OnObjectModify and a bug.

This topic is 4103 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.