Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Best way to import into a clone copy

This topic is 3976 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Not sure what happened here but my post is empty.

I have a FM12 file which is 10 years old and which has crashed many times. It runs our medical practice. It has been behaving strangely so I decided to try to create a clean clone copy of it.

I performed a save as clone and then created an import script to re-import the date into the clone. There are literally hundreds of tables and over 60,000 entries in many of the tables. I therefore created one import step per table including join tables.

The end result is that I have many duplicate entries and the database size has ballooned out to 3 times its previous size.

I am not sure what i have done wrong.

Can anyone give me advice?

Is their someone available (for a fee of course) to create an import script that works?

Should I have imported join table data?

Joseph

Yes you have to import join tables. When you created the import script for each table did you open the import specify dialog and correctly map the old data fields to the new table fields? When you say you have duplicates you may have called the script multiple times.Did you review the table contents. Did it actually pull the the data from the correct table and fields into the new file? If this is a one time thing it would probably be just as efficient to manually import each table. If you want me to look over your script and file you can message me. Also if you are dealing with crashes you can try to save a  copy as compacted, as that will sometimes clean things up.

Hi thank you for your response.

Yes I did map the old and new data fields. I went through the clone, table by table, pointed it at the old file then mapped the fields. The script has no steps other than series of import steps as below.

The idea, in addition to dealing with any corruption is to also allow development on a non live copy then import records once it is functional.

How does save a copy as compacted actually work?

I have a FM12 file which is 10 years old and which has crashed many times.

And herein lies the problem. The future for this should be viewed with some caution as your file may have a deep-rooted corruption in it's structure. As you say, recently it is behaving strangely.

A better long term plan is to start a rebuild from scratch and consider hosting via FMS, either internally or through a hosting service. (You can get a developer version of FMS is you join Technet, which is free)

You can develop live on an FMS hosted file and it won't crash out on you. Even if your local FMP crashes, FMS will still be holding your file with the latest changes applied.

I'm sure you are wise on this subject now, so you know it makes sense.

This topic is 3976 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.