Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Drop-down or Pop-up menu to find records on one layout

This topic is 3952 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying achieve two things:

1. Either use a drop-down or pop-up menu on a 'Client' layout that allows users, particularly for Filemaker Go, to select a client and then populates the other fields on the 'Client' layout. This info includes address etc. The layout also has a portal attached to it which lists staff contacts for that client.

2. I have been searching through the internet and forums for a solution to write a script for a button that can turn on/off the Browse mode field entry box. It would be preferable to have an edit button on the layouts rather than changes being allowed when viewing a record

Do solutions for these issues revolve around 'Global Storage/Fields'? I don't have a grasp of this concept sadly

Thanks

Why have you decided not to allow Find mode? That is the most straightforward interface solution.

Another technique: global field with value list attached (ClientID, Client Name - show only Client Name), with OnObjectModify trigger script which grabs this gField and performs a Find.

As for 2, if you feel that users may change data accidentally, and wish to use an Edit button, then use Record Level Access rules to only allow Edit if flag_EditOK =1. The "Edit" button sets this flag. This is a slippery slope, by the way. If you use this paradigm, then you might also need to support rollback of edits. Yes, there are techniques for this. It does result in much more development work.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice bcooney.

Regarding point 1 I haven't been able to find away of using either a drop-down or pop-up with find mode. Manually it works great but I would like to automate the process as the database with be used in iPad (initially) then iPod, iPhone.

For point 2 I was conserned that when people view a record they could accidentally change information. What would you consider is the best way for users to for example request to up update information? i.e. another layout?

Thanks

Zab

This topic is 3952 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.