Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Best practices for hosted database maintenance?

bdarch

This topic is 3778 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there,

I'm getting back into details of FMP Server and wanted to ask for some advice about recommended methods for tweaking hosted files. We've had our FMP system that has run like a clock since version 5-something. We tweaked it a bit with the big change at version 7, as I recall. But then again we haven't had to touch it. Sweet. But now the time has come - our company and practices have evolved and so must our FMP databases. Not in a big way - need to tweak layouts and scripts a bit. Maybe change some container fields.

We host FMPS 12 on a dedicated iMac.

I'm looking for the easiest and quickest way to access my database files from a remote computer. I can't work from the server machine directly - but I do have ARD access.

I can't find any recommendations in the server documentation or the admin guide. If I've missed something obvious please point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much,

Jeff in VA

When you say "...access my database files from a remote computer..." what do you mean exactly?  Access them as a guest?  Or access the files to add or to remove them?  If the latter, use the Admin Console for that purpose.  If the former, just access them with FileMaker Pro.

Steven

Hi Steven and thanks

Basically I want to use the Admin Console to take the served file off-line, then open it for editing with FMP Advanced on another machine. The server databases are on the server machine, of course. I want to edit at my workstation. Question is, after closing the file or files on the server, what's the best method for opening for editing - or does it matter?

- go to the server machine, open and edit with non-server FMP?

- open the file across the network?

- copy the file to my local workstation, then edit, and copy back?

- should I take ALL the hosted files off-line or it it OK to just close and edit just the one (there are warnings about not finding related files... )

Back in the day as I recall, FM was very clear not to run FMPS and regular FMP on the same machine. I think there were warning about AFP and FMPS running on the same computer, but I can't find current v 12 documentation about that.

Does this make my question more clear? This would seem to be a common occurance (hosted files ALWAYS need tweaking, right?). I assumed there would be a clear recommended best practice out there.

Why would you do any of that? There is no need to take the file off line. There are a few categories of mods that need to be done with no other users connected; such as schema mods. But most changes can be done while the file is hosted. Your premise is outdated.

There IS some inherent risk if making changes across the network compared to making changes locally.  And if served, and Users are in the system, you also risk tripping over each over (which can cause scripts to break in the moment).  It is best to make changes to local file if at all possible.

BruceR and LaRetta, thanks to you both.

BruceR - Ha. I'm sure a lot of my thinking is out-dated! From your answer I presume your "best practice" is just to go ahead and edit the live file. In truth, I make lots of changes to live hosted files. But some changes don't stick - for example I've noticed that global variable container fields won't keep a value I set, unless I take the file off-line, make the change, then re-host. Is there a list of what changes to a live file are accepted vs. those that aren't?

LaRetta - yes... assessing levels of "risk" is exactly right - it would seem that FM would disallow "risky" edits to live files. Or if it allows edits that could potentially break something - is there documentation or a matrix of risky/not risky interventions? Ha. Call me a worry wart. Or just someone who wants to know...

1. There is no such thing as a global variable field. You mean a global field.

2. There are better ways to set defaults. Use a single record pref table. Plus startup scripts. LOTS of prior threads And best practices on this subject. Seems like once aaa week.

LaRetta - yes... assessing levels of "risk" is exactly right - it would seem that FM would disallow "risky" edits to live files. Or if it allows edits that could potentially break something - is there documentation or a matrix of risky/not risky interventions? Ha. Call me a worry wart. Or just someone who wants to know...

Hi Jeff,

It is discussed under the hood, at DevCon, Pause On Error, and occasionally in the open.  The video I recommend to EVERYONE can be downloaded only if you are a TechNet member (that I am aware of) which is a shame since everyone should be aware of this, but it is worth it to register anyway since there is a wealth of information there ... this forum is better (IMO) for posting and assistance.  Anyway, the video is called Shaking The Dependency Tree (COR11).

Here is where to register for TechNet (free):  http://www.filemaker.com/technet/

Here is a link to the page with the video on it:  https://fmdev.filemaker.com/docs/DOC-3250

Sometimes we may have to make changes in a system while live,  but that does not mean that we should put our heads in the sand and pretend that we are not taking an unpredictable risk when we do so.   And now knowing there is a risk (and it increases with the complexity of your solution and the number of online Users at the time), it is amazing how you can avoid the need if you want to. 

"We host FMPS 12 on a dedicated iMac."

Hey Wim, Steven ... Is an iMac considered server-quality machine?  If best practice is your question, Jeff, then I would make sure your hardware is capable as well.

Continue to be a fuss bucket when it comes to protecting your Users and their data.  

it would seem that FM would disallow "risky" edits to live files. Or if it allows edits that could potentially break something - is there documentation or a matrix of risky/not risky interventions?

BTW, FMI cannot predict all of the complexities in scripts, calculations and interactions which might happen in the moment that you make a schema change in your solution which is obviously why they will not put themselves on the line and produce a PDF of safe vs. unsafe actions.  FM does try to protect if you make a field change - users are held up until you finish but, as you will see from the video, risk is still there.

I had two people contact me ... my apology ... this isn't the video I was talking about although everyone should see this video anyway.  I see the discussion in my mind - I don't recall if it was at DevCon and which year, or a video or whether it was Todd Geist but it showed that new record creation will break if someone is in calculation dialog at the time.  If I get a memory jolt, I'll post it here.

LR

re: server quality machine

Ha! Busted. We're hosting temporarily on the imac until the new mac mini is released. We only have fifteen users so the loads are minimal. We have a good backup scheme. So far so good. But yeah, an iMac is probably not "best practice".

re: TechNet

Registered ages ago - thanks for the reminder. I'll take another look at that resource!

Thanks for the help. Happy New Year to all.

I'm not sure if this is the video you are thinking of LaRetta, but it shows the issue clearly.

http://fmrift.wordpress.com/2010/06/16/possible-dangers-when-working-on-a-live-database/ (I linked to the video directly on my sorely neglected blog LOL)

I had two people contact me ... my apology ... this isn't the video I was talking about although everyone should see this video anyway.  I see the discussion in my mind - I don't recall if it was at DevCon and which year, or a video or whether it was Todd Geist but it showed that new record creation will break if someone is in calculation dialog at the time.  If I get a memory jolt, I'll post it here.

• Like 1

Oh!  Hi Josh!   :laugh2: 

I would have remembered if by Chad so this isn't the one but it clearly shows exactly the video demonstration I had seen so thank you very much! I think everyone should see this.   :yep:  

Did I mention that I think everyone should see this?  

it would seem that FM would disallow "risky" edits to live files. Or if it allows edits that could potentially break something - is there documentation or a matrix of risky/not risky interventions? Ha. Call me a worry wart. Or just someone who wants to know...

Just because you can do something does not mean that you should do it, or that it is prudent to do it. Working remotely on hosted files is a process that carries risk.  Some of that risk is known and quantifiable; others parts of it are not. 

Take risks that you understand rather than trying to understand the risks you are taking.

Steven

This topic is 3778 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.