Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Unique Value Field Setting

This topic is 3718 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

Hoping somebody can help please.

When setting a field to 'Unique Value', how do I stop it telling me that the value already exists if i'm in a different related record from a different table.

I.e.  Silly example sorry - Say I have two tables 'Months' & 'Dates' 

I select January from 'Months' table and go to related table Dates and enter in field with value set as 'Unique' 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on.

I then select February from 'Months' table and go to related table Dates again and enter in field 1.  Straightaway it stops me and says value exists, yet I want it to exist as as it's a different related record/month.   I don't want to set it to have the user keep over riding data validation either.

Have read through Filemaker Pro 12 Missing Manual and struggling to find the answer

Any help or just pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

If the field in DATES is set to be unique this will always happen. You could set up a field that auto-enters a concatenated value of Month and Date and set this field to be unique and remove the validation from the Dates field, but then you will have the same problem next year. Better yet, why have two fields (let alone two tables) to record a simple date? Just use one date field in one table.

This topic is 3718 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.