Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Unable to start Acrobat Reader for PDF with Send Event on Windows

This topic is 3563 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am running FMP 13 Advanced on Windows 7.  I've just been through a very frustrating exercise trying to open a PDF file with the default program, Adobe Acrobat, using Send Event.

After extensive testing, what I've found is this:

• Send Event for a .TXT file results in the application associated with .txt being launched for the file.  This works fine.
  • Send Event for a .PDF file with the PDF file association set to Adobe Acrobat Reader results in Send Event returning an error 3 and Acrobat does not start.
  • Send Event for a .PDF file with the PDF file association set to FoxIt Reader works fine (FoxIt Reader opens the PDF file properly).

My test case consists of a one-line script: Send Event ("aevt"; "odoc"; "report.pdf")

"report.pdf" on the Windows command line launches the Acrobat Reader as expected, so Windows file association seems to be working properly.

But FMP Send Event results in an error 3.

I'll be deploying to a Mac and won't be able to test the code there for a few days.

Does anyone know what might be happening or how to get Adobe Acrobat working with FMP?  (I did try Open URL but could not get that to work--whether for the same or some other reason, I have not investigated.)

Do you really need Adobe Acrobat? Do you have FireFox installed?

Does this work for you if you change default browser to FireFox?

FireFox has a really nice PDF viewer.

( Not sure it will cover your needs though, but saved me having to install Adobe. )

I do not wish to dictate which PDF reader is installed.

My default browser is Firefox but it is the PDF file association that controls what program is launched.  I don't think Firefox's built-in PDF viewer is all that great.  Just adequate I would call it.

fwiw, I tried setting the PDF file association to Firefox and then to PDF-XChange Viewer.  Both launch properly as viewers.  It is only Acrobat that doesn't work.

This topic is 3563 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.