Best practices for layouts in different resolutions

Asdfko0

This topic is 2507 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello, I hope this is the best place to post this. I'm new to the forums, but have plenty of experience with older versions of FileMaker.

I'm currently supporting a database based on FileMaker 6 / Server 5.5... You heard me. It's a rather long story, but the short version is that we will likely be redesigning the database from the ground up using FileMaker 13 in the near future. I'm in the process of researching some of the many new features that have been introduced over the years, and have hit a roadblock when it comes to designing layouts.

We have many different devices, with a variety of resolutions (almost entirely Windows PCs), and I would like to be able to design a single layout in a way that looks good and uses the whole screen on each workstation. What are some of my options without designing a separate layout for each resolution in use?

I'm also trying to have a consistent navigation bar at the top of each layout (in the header of each layout), but I'd like to design it once and reuse it rather than copying and pasting it to the top of each layout. Is there a way to do this, or perhaps something similar?

Thinking of it in terms of designing a website, this would be simple enough to do with HTML and CSS using percentages for widths in most cases. My main goal here is to come up with a set of "rules" for designing layout that would be easy to maintain and keep a consistent look as we move forward with the project. Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

We have many different devices, with a variety of resolutions (almost entirely Windows PCs), and I would like to be able to design a single layout in a way that looks good and uses the whole screen on each workstation. What are some of my options without designing a separate layout for each resolution in use?

1. Design for the smallest screen size you have to support first.

2. Use the new (since 6) layout object resizing to make objects expand or slide as the window dimensions increase from the smallest size you designed the layout for. There's plenty of background reading to catch up on from the community to help you with that, but the first nugget to learn is:

3. Vertical and horizontal line tests: For any imaginary vertical (or horizontal) line across the layout, there should only be one object the line passes through that increases in height (width) with the window; everything above (to the left of) that object should be anchored to the top (left), and everything below (to the right of) that object should be anchored to the bottom (right). This is the only way to keep objects from colliding with each other.

Note that layout objects contained within other layout objects (portals, tab panels, slide panels, popovers) will only slide or expand within the bounds of that object; if a portal doesn't expand or slide, nothing inside it will expand or slide.

There is no way to have several FileMaker layout objects expand proportionally with each other. Some folks have created this effect with web viewers, which entail significantly more effort, or repeating fields (the repetitions within the single object expand proportionally), which have an awkward uncanny valley effect. I don't recommend either.

• Like 2

• Newbies

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for, and your tips on resizing portals will be very useful in the future. I'm not sure why it was so hard for me to find this information yesterday. I haven't had a chance to really dig into this yet, but I think I can handle it from here.

This topic is 2507 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Answers
      Hi All,
      Our database has properties and for each property there are multiple inspections per appliance,  sometimes year to year sometimes quarterly. Anyway, we want the technicians in the field who are using iPads to view the history per property by swiping just to make it simple. Every swipe would be a different inspection for that property viewed in chronological order. Property part is "static" while they "page" or swipe through the inspections.
      I was thinking a slide control would work nicely, and each slide would be a different record for that property. I'm looking for ideas to jumpstart my thought processes,  apparently my brain is having a hard time functioning today (and it's only Tuesday!).  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
      Thank you,
      Caroline
    • By Prasad Khandagale
      FileMaker 17 is launched with the purpose of letting the users do more without spending much time. The new version also works towards its goal of letting the users do more with the FileMaker platform while they are on the go. To know some of it's most popular features read this article.
      https://www.metasyssoftware.com/blogs/filemaker/5-popular-features-introduced-filemaker-17
    • By Bentley
      I'm working on a database right now that handles general accounting information for a department of a university.  My current layout looks like this:

Where the left section has buttons to take you to the different layouts and look at various different tables, and the middle column is a scrollable portal to look at all of the jobs.  On the right hand side for the "employees" section, I was able to fit all of an employee's data in that space, so it worked, but each job has significantly more data associated with it and doesn't fit in that space, so I was wondering if there is a way to make that section scrollable, but looking at the same record (i.e. The job description would be at the top, and then some info on what materials and labor have been billed to that job, and then be able to scroll down and have another section with contact info for employees assigned to that job, etc.).  From what I've been looking around at for solutions it looks like this is impossible, but I'm hoping that maybe there's someone out there that's more creative than me!  I thought about making the whole layout taller and then somehow locking the left columns into position while scrolling so that they would be fixed in the viewport, but I couldn't find a way to do that.  Thanks guys!
    • By wedgeman
      Am a bit lost on what (I think) should be a quite simple script:
      Field 1 has a value list on layout.
      Field 2 is a general text field for typed data entry..
      My goal is to use Field 1 to trigger/manage a script which does severla things, but then leaves the mouse/selector inserted into Field 2, for ease of use...

So...
      When I select an item in that value list, an OnObjectExit triggered script: 
      sets a variable from that, then clears that field inserts a calculated value (based on the variable created) in another field.  Then it SHOULD "go to Field 2"... as in, after the script is done, the cursor should be inserted into Field 2 with a blinking cursor... My problem is, this isn't working.
      the first two parts are working flawlessly - it creates and acts on variables, as it should..
      But it refuses to 'go to field' (or "go to object", if i try it that way)..
      What's happening instead is this: the script runs, but the selector/mouse jumps on forward to the next object (if that object is in a tab order), or (if NOT in a tab order), it goes nowhere (it operates the script, but dies before setting mouse to the field or object).....
      I also tried OnObjectModify and OnObjectSave.... No dice on either.....The mouse simply refuses to "go to field"....
      additionally, i tried triggering ANOTHER script (which works on its own) - - simply "go to field 2".. but even that doesn't work..
      thoughts?

My guess is that the script (as an OnObjectExit trigger) runs, then FMP assumes that after the script ends, the next object should be selected (rather than ending wherever I told it to end)...

anybody?
    • By 123
      Hey,
      I have the following problem. I'm working on a solution for the owner of several restaurants. Each restaurant has meetings once or twice a month. How would I structure the tables so that I could have a layout on which I select a restaurant and then inside a portal I get a list of all employees. On the portal for each row I want to have a button or checkbox to mark if an employee is present or not.
      I already have the following tables:
      Restaurants, Employees and Meetings
      So far I have a relationship between the Restaurants and Employees table which I use to assign employees to a restaurant, and a relationship between the Meeting and Restaurant table, which allows me to show all employees that work at a selected restaurant using a portal on the meetings layout. How do I proceed to solve my problem? Do I create another table MeetingAttendees or something similar that I use to keep track of people attending a meeting? How would I create a relationship then to allow me to mark certain employees as present and absent?
      Thanks in advance,
      Mike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.