Using checkboxes for multiple-part find in a popover

This topic is 3324 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I've assembled a database of soldiers who died during WW1 (it was begun using Appleworks on a IIe, just to give an idea of exactly how long it's been in construction). 

For using the database with Filemaker Go on iPad / iPhone, I want to simplify some of the Find requests to allow only the use of checkboxes and buttons. This would be useful when 'in the field' at the actual battlefield and in the associated cemeteries, for on the spot information regarding the soldiers, as well as for details of the military actions, etc. that occurred there.

I want to place a Field in checkbox format - for examle 'Force' (indicates the country of origin) inside a Popover, and have the User able to select one or more options by tapping on the appropriate checkbox/es, then carry out the search.

I've spent the day looking around for solutions, and feel I'm just not getting it. I haven't had a lot of experience with scripting, but realise that's at least partly where the answer is. What I'd really appreciate would be a step-by-step explanation of how this sort of thing is usually done, as I don't believe I'm the only person ever to have tried it.

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards,

Bryn

I'm not great explaining things so I made a quick little database doing what I think you want your search to do. You are correct you do need to do the search using a script, but it's not to terribly complicated. The basic idea is that you're going to grab all the selected search countries that you selected from the filter popover and then your going to loop through the id's and make a find request for each selected country. It gets a little more complicated if you need to have multiple filter criteria like force and birth country, as you need to do a loop inside of a loop which can be tricky. Take a look at the example file and let me know if thats what you wanted and if you have any questions. 

searchExample.zip

• Newbies

Thanks voltron! That worked perfectly. Your database was easy to follow and adapt to my situation. I might try making it a bit more complex later, but for the time being that's allowed me to get past that block and to get on with it. Thanks again - much appreciated!

This topic is 3324 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.