Sign in to follow this  
Steve N

Event 661 Authentication Failed

Steve N    0

I talked to Steve Blackwell at Devcon and he suggested I post this question here.

When I check my server logs on the admin console the event 661 authentication failed comes up a lot. It appears for all or most users a several times a week. No one had trouble logging on. 

I have posted a screen shot. I believe Steve thought it might be related to auto log on so I posted that screen shot as well (Hope I remembered that correct)

Another odd thing is at the end of each line is "using "User[fmapp]" sometimes reads "Admin[fmapp]", sometimes reads "The Logon name[fmapp]". I don't have a user or extended privilege called "User". What does this represent.

Screen Shot 2015-08-27 at 8.27.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 4.27.46 PM.png

mr_vodka    70

This error can come up with a user is entering a wrong password / user name combo 

Wim Decorte    446

To expand on that; FM defaults the account name in the login dialog box to whatever it has in its preferences for the user name.  Which sounds like it is "user" for at least some of your users.  You can clear that out or change it it in the FM Preferences.

Also; you can get the same symptoms is you are using a launcher file or if your main file gets pulled open by another file and there are no matching accounts in the files.

Steve N    0

Thanks for the help. I am using a launcher file and the launcher file does have a saved name in the login dialog box (I only checked 2 machines so far). Sounds like that is the culprit. I will delete the user name out on all the machines and report back if that solved the issue.

Wim Decorte    446

If you use a launcher file you can't avoid the issue.  Not unless you want to create every user's account in the launcher file - which is a no-no.  You could consider using the fmp protocol url link instead of a launcher file.

Wiping out the user name that I talked about is in the FM Preferences, not the File Options.

Steve N    0

Just as a follow up. The launcher file was the issue. I set the launcher files up so long a go I had forget they had their own credentials.Those credentials were conflicting and causing the 661 error. The snap shot link works much better then the launcher file. Thanks for everyones help!!!

Edited by Steve N

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By -dp-
      I'm trying to upload a new solution to FMS. When I attempted to connect using the saved credentials, it threw the error "Invalid name/password. Please try again." Unfortunately, the login pane was grayed out, so I could not make any changes. So, I went into Keychain Access and deleted the credentials. Now, there are no saved credentials, but I am still unable to access the login pane. I see my server in Local Hosts, the IP address is correct, and I can access the Admin Console. But I can't log in to upload. I have managed to lock myself out of my own server. How embarrassing is that?
      FMS 16
      FMPA 16
      MacOS Sierra
    • By DataCruncher
      Hello all - 

So I got a larger MirrorSync installation to run beautifully between two FMS15 server sites. Sync times are a charm.

My question is what the best practice is to make MirrorSync sync fastest. Currently, our hub server is in a colocation datacenter in Los Angeles with Gigabit connection. 
      The spoke server is in our branch office, syncing through a 100/50 Mbit connection. 
      MirrorSync server runs in the same datacenter as the hub server. 

My question is whether it would make sense to install the mirror sync server at the branch office location instead. That way, mirror sync could connect locally to the spoke server at 1 Gbit, and only pull all changes from the hub server over the 100/50Mbit internet connection. 
      The way we have it now, mirror sync at the data center, it would only connect to the spoke server on the 50/100 Mbit connection. 

Since I don't know how mirror sync handles data traffic to the hub and spoke server (or if there is any difference at all), I don't know which way is better. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Robert

• By ggt667
      Did any of you write a grok for logstash or find a way to analyse FileMaker Server logs using elk( elasticsearch / kibana? ) Not really picky on the version.
      https://www.elastic.co/products/beats/packetbeat
    • By KevinArevalo
      Good morning! I need some help getting something working.

We have a company website, and we are trying to create a instant web publishing portal for our customers to login and view their open invoices. Pretty simple. We have all of our information on a FileMaker solution that is hosted with FileMaker Server 12. The problem is we can't get it to work the way we want it to. 

This is our idea and how we kind of want it to work. We want the have our customers create their accounts/passwords on our actual website. We will store their account information on our web server. We will authenticate their login on our web server. Then, after they log into our website, we want to take their username, bypass the filemaker instant web publishing login page, and then set their username (which they used to log into our website, not filemaker) to a global variable or a field or something, we just need it in filemaker so we can do searches on it. We have the instant web publishing layouts built and we can get all that part working fine, we have the login authentication working on our site, that part is fine. It's just bridging the two together. 
      We are using WordPress to build the website, and our site is hosted on GoDaddy. Our problem is that we can't find a way to auto-login and bypass the login web publishing page. We currently have one account called "WebLogin" which we have been trying to use as a general login (since the actual customer login is authenticated on our website, not FileMaker) but we can't seem to bypass the page. I found this page through google searching: http://lnx.acidsoft.net/problemsolved/bypass-filemaker-iwp-login-via-url.html
      and tried to do it the way that he describes, but it is not working. It gives me an error saying:
      Bad Request
      The server could not process your request due to a missing command: ""

And I get another dialog box that says: 
      Bad Request
      The server could not process your request because your session has timed out, been closed, or communication with the server has been lost.
      Please reselect the database to begin a new session. If you cannot open the database, please contact your database administrator.

That is one of the problems, how can I resolve this?

My other problems is we are trying to pass through the username that the customer uses to login to our website as a variable in filemaker or even set it to a field. I am not sure how to do this. Is this even possible?
      Thank you so much!
    • By Chuck
      I have a script that works correctly on a server machine when running within FileMaker Pro 13, but raises errors when run within FileMaker Server 13. Both are running under Windows. The portion that is raising the error is an `Import Record` script step that imports from one table within a file into another table within the same file.
      The error returned is 100, "File is missing," so I'm wondering if this is something not supported when running a script within FileMaker Server. If that's the case, I'm thinking that perhaps exporting the records to a temporary file and importing from that might be a workaround, but before I start down that road, I want to check and see if I'm missing something.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.