Error Starting Java with FileMaker 14

This topic is 2663 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When launching FMPA 14 with Scribe 2.15 installed (also occurred with 2.091) I get the error:

Error Starting Java: 360Works plugins require a 32-bit version of Java 6 or later, which is not installed on this computer.

However it is installed. Java 8 had been been previously installed as well but has been removed from the system. The error persists.

• FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.04 (32-bit)
  • Scribe 2.15
  • Mac OS X 10.11.2
  • java version "1.6.0_65"
  • Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-468-11M4833)
  • Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-468, mixed mode)

We also tried two clean installs of FileMaker on new machines and are unable to replicate the error. I even installed Java 8 and the error did not occur. 

Screenshot_01_11_2016__2_44_PM.jpg

We have run the installer again. Still didn't fix it.

Went through a process of manually removing the install so we could be sure it was clean when we ran the installer again but it still didn't fix the problem.

Note: All the experimenting has been on one machine. We have another were the problem is also happening that we haven't tried anything on yet. Both machines are used by developers so would have had multiple versions of java around however the problem did not occur until recently. Unfortunately we hadn't fired up 14 for a few months and the problem is not occurring with FMPA/FMP 13.

Paul,

Since you are able to run plugins on 13 without issue then I don't think that the Java is the issue. Do you have any other plugins installed besides Scribe and/or multiple versions of Scribe installed? If so, which ones and what are the version numbers? Be sure to check all 3 FileMaker Pro install locations. 

Usually there would be several plugins installed however in the course of testing this I have reduced the set to just Scribe installed in:

~/Libary/Application Support/FileMaker/FileMaker Pro Advanced/14.0/

There are no plugins installed in:

/Applications/FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced/Extensions/

Or in 

/Library/Application Support/FileMaker/Extensions/

The error occurs when any of the following plugins are individually installed:

• 360Works_CloudMail 1.0
  • 360Works_Email 2.14
  • 360Works_Scribe 2.15
  • SuperContainer_Companion_Plugin 2.93

As a control I tried having only CNS_Menu 1.1.14.2 installed and there was no error.

On launch with just Scribe installed I get the error then FMPA launches with the plugin disabled. The app is set to open in 32-bit mode.

Preferences.jpg

• Newbies

Ryan, yes I can confirm that it is 32-bit Java. The version on this desktop is v6.31. We can't update Java as there is another mission critical multi-agency application that won't run on anything higher. We're still a year away from replacing that piece of software. The plug-in had been working flawlessly since it was installed in July. It ran fine earlier in the week but stopped working mid-week.

...dave

• Newbies

Ryan, when checking Properties of the plug-in I noticed that the plug had been blocked. I unblocked it and re-launched FMPA. The error messages disappeared, the plug-in had installed and was working again. Our Admins pushed a Windows patch and security updates mid-week and I am pretty sure that this caused the blocking.

Thanks for following up!

...dave

FMPblock.PNG

Edited by Fla6thCir

• 11 months later...
  • Newbies

I have an almost identical situation to the original poster. After installing FM15, I am unable to get the Scriptmaster plugin to initialise. I do not get the "Error starting Java" dialog, it just errors silently. This happened first on one machine but I now have a second machine that has the same problem. The plugin works fine in FM13. My java -version result is the same as the original poster's.

This topic is 2663 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.