Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Path to external objects

This topic is 2832 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My old fp7 solution had some fields that store the path to external pdf files, the files were stored in the same server machine and the path were like "file://oldserver/folder/file", the pdf files are shown in the solution through a webviewer field. The solution is developed under the 'separation model'.

I just converted the solution to FM15 and I moved into a new server, at present I have both servers up and running, so the fmp12 database with fields pointing to "file://oldserver/folder/file" still shows pdf files as expected.

Given that I want the paths to point to a certain folder into the new server I'm trying to find the right path to the new location of files but so far I haven't been able even thought I made sure that users fmserver and fmsadmin have full permissions on the folder that stores the pdf files.

On the other hand I've seen that FMS15 creates a folder named "RC_Data_FMS" with a subfolder for each fmp12 file where the external container data is meant to be stored. Am I forced to store my pdf files in there OR somewhere else in the network?

Thank you in advance.

The 'RC_Data_FMS' folder will only be used when you use the remote container feature.  When you do use that feature you should not ever let the users touch that folder directly, all interaction with the files needs to go through the container field in FM.

Can you confirm that you are using containers in the old file and that the files were inserted as references only?

If so then you will have to reset the reference for each record...

Thanks Wim

In this case I'm not using containers at all, I only store a pdf file URL that then I use to present the pdf within a web viewer in FM.

But I understand what happens: actually I need to set up a LAN folder shared by each of my solution users, this folder must be accessible from each client computer, I guess it's the only way to render the pdf files within the web viewer.

I've also found that URLs are not so Universal, so the only way to have this working properly in a mixed mac/windows LAN is to calculate the document URL differently depending on the client platform

Edited by naio

This topic is 2832 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.