1 post in this topic
By Gary Hoffman
We have been using 360Works Email Plugin for several years to great success. The grad school recruiting team sends messages to admitted students that include both standard and custom-created PDF letters as attachments. The email script runs in the FMP client machine and we are using a special SMTP server address alias reserved for automated mail messages from on campus devices. This has worked well from both wired and wireless clients until the campus network managers started using NAT-addresses for wifi clients. Now we discover that a machine on the wifi network cannot reach the designated SMTP server address, but the Email Plugin error message says that the email addresses are invalid, rather than complaining about not connecting to the SMTP server. We can get the connection failure message by changing the EmailConnectSMTP entry to a bad address.
Fortunately, we have other SMTP servers to use which will work with wifi users. But we chased the wrong error for so long, I thought I should report this.
Having been shown the bug in 10.11.6 and FMP by bcooney I am setting up the Send Mail script to send via SMTP. This works OK in the Invoice table but I can not get it to work in the Quotes table. There does not appear to be anything in the mail setup script that is capable of creating the error and I have tried three different smtp server addresses with the same result. I have used all three smtp server addresses on the Invoice table as well and they all work. Can anyone assist please.
By Simon UK
Probably a junior error so apologies in advance but I cannot get my clients DB to connect to their Office 365 SMTP relay.
Username = username
Password = password
Username and password are those for the login to Outlook Office 365, I assumed these would be correct?
But I'm getting "authentication failed, please check authentication info"
Log attached, any ideas????
Best regards and thank you,
UPDATE: This has now been resolved however I'm getting an error 'Exception Reading Response' ...
There is another thread on this topic from September 2015 . Thought I would give the problem/solution its on thread to easily help others. this had me baffled and scratching my head as everything seemed fine in the script....
then Don Bahash wrote:
"OMG ... I just got it to work! So, for me, the solution was to remove all the references to field "id_constant" in the SMTP dialog box in script "0783 Send Email by Parameter"
So following Don's solution ... I hard coded each of the smtp fields that referenced the prefs table and it solved the problem.
I then went back in and undid each change one at a time and tested. I saved the password field for last because I suspected that was the problem child.
Bingo..,. it is the culprit...
after careful review of the displayed fields on the email tab in Preferences, I realized that the password field was actually the password display field. once I changed that to the password field and entered in the password ... problem solved! 4.5v2 now sends emails via smtp in the Contacts module
hope this helps others!