alice07

Application log file

Hello,

Application log can keep trace of user operations and can be used to debug some issues. 

Using database records is not enough fast in my experience, but using either a global field or a variable is not a solution in case of an application crash because data will not be saved.

A possible solution could be using this plugin to write logs to local log file directly.

My questions are:

Will that be fast enough when used intensively to log script instructions and user operations ?

Is the file opened and closed for each write instruction (so that writing are committed, otherwise it will not be useful in case of an application crash) ?

Thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Stickybeak
      I have a file 73.3mb hosted with fmphost with a starter filmmaker host. I am running 16 on my machines and it is hosted on 14.
      It has recently become incredibly slow. I have not added any new scripts and I have removed some to see if it makes any difference.
      Any insights as to why this might have happened recently? I realise that may a very difficult question to answer without seeing the solution.
      Would I be better off with dedicated hosting with 16?
      At the moment I am toying with going back to keeping the file in dropbox and not using go. 
    • By 123
      Hey,
      I have a Tab-Separated Text File which I want to import to a database that I just created in FileMaker Pro 15. The text file essentially is a log of events, for instance, one line describes an order, another line describes a payment that has been made. The problem is that I somehow need to import all these lines into different tables. I want all lines in the log file that describe a payment in a table called Payments, and all lines that describe an order in a table called Orders for example.
      I'm just starting out with FileMaker so forgive me if there is an obvious solution that I'm not aware of. I have a background in software development, so the only solution that I can think of is writing a small program myself that does all the parsing for me and creates separate text files that contain all the orders and payments and other events that have been logged in the file. Then I could simply import each file into the table I need all the data in. 
      So to sum everything up, my main question is if there is a way to somehow parse the text file before importing it. I know that you can create custom scripts in FileMaker but I'm not sure if what I need to do can be done just with that.
      Thanks in advance,
      Mike
    • By Buckie
      Hi all.
      Anyone knows what the following endlessly repeating messages appearing in system.log in 10.11.1/FM Server 14.0.4 may mean?
      fmserverd[595]: LaunchServices: Database mapping failed with result -10822, retrying
      fmserverd[595]: LaunchServices: received XPC_ERROR_CONNECTION_INTERRUPTED trying to map database
      I get about 13 of those repeating in bursts every minute.
    • By Bailey Kessing
      I have heard that tabs on the a layout can really impact performance when using WebDirect as all the info in each tab has to be rendered even when the tab isn't displayed (correct?). How about when using the client? Is this the case with the FM application? Do many tabs with, say portals on them, impact performance in the same way? Or are those tabs only rendered when selected using the client application?
    • By Daniel Wood
      When FileMaker sorts records it happens on the client machine. Consequently, sorting can be a very painful process for users over a slow connection to a database. In this article we show a very fast way in which records can be presented to the user in descending creation order, without sorting delays...

Read the Full Article Here…

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.