alice07

Application log file

Hello,

Application log can keep trace of user operations and can be used to debug some issues. 

Using database records is not enough fast in my experience, but using either a global field or a variable is not a solution in case of an application crash because data will not be saved.

A possible solution could be using this plugin to write logs to local log file directly.

My questions are:

Will that be fast enough when used intensively to log script instructions and user operations ?

Is the file opened and closed for each write instruction (so that writing are committed, otherwise it will not be useful in case of an application crash) ?

Thanks

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Stickybeak
      I have a file 73.3mb hosted with fmphost with a starter filmmaker host. I am running 16 on my machines and it is hosted on 14.
      It has recently become incredibly slow. I have not added any new scripts and I have removed some to see if it makes any difference.
      Any insights as to why this might have happened recently? I realise that may a very difficult question to answer without seeing the solution.
      Would I be better off with dedicated hosting with 16?
      At the moment I am toying with going back to keeping the file in dropbox and not using go. 
    • By 123
      Hey,
      I have a Tab-Separated Text File which I want to import to a database that I just created in FileMaker Pro 15. The text file essentially is a log of events, for instance, one line describes an order, another line describes a payment that has been made. The problem is that I somehow need to import all these lines into different tables. I want all lines in the log file that describe a payment in a table called Payments, and all lines that describe an order in a table called Orders for example.
      I'm just starting out with FileMaker so forgive me if there is an obvious solution that I'm not aware of. I have a background in software development, so the only solution that I can think of is writing a small program myself that does all the parsing for me and creates separate text files that contain all the orders and payments and other events that have been logged in the file. Then I could simply import each file into the table I need all the data in. 
      So to sum everything up, my main question is if there is a way to somehow parse the text file before importing it. I know that you can create custom scripts in FileMaker but I'm not sure if what I need to do can be done just with that.
      Thanks in advance,
      Mike
    • By Buckie
      Hi all.
      Anyone knows what the following endlessly repeating messages appearing in system.log in 10.11.1/FM Server 14.0.4 may mean?
      fmserverd[595]: LaunchServices: Database mapping failed with result -10822, retrying
      fmserverd[595]: LaunchServices: received XPC_ERROR_CONNECTION_INTERRUPTED trying to map database
      I get about 13 of those repeating in bursts every minute.
    • By Daniel Wood
      When FileMaker sorts records it happens on the client machine. Consequently, sorting can be a very painful process for users over a slow connection to a database. In this article we show a very fast way in which records can be presented to the user in descending creation order, without sorting delays...

Read the Full Article Here…
    • By troi
      Troi Automatisering releases Troi File Plug-in 8.0.3 for FileMaker Pro 14   Updated file management plug-in for FileMaker Pro 14 adds Drag and Drop functionality for FileMaker 14 on OS X     Alicante, Spain, July 20th, 2015--Troi Automatisering today announced the immediate availability of Troi File Plug-in 8.0.3 for FileMaker Pro 14.     What is new in version 8.0.3?   Version 8.0.3 is a maintenance update of our plug-in for manipulating external files and folders directly from FileMaker Pro. In this version we implemented the DragAndDrop functionality for the 64-bit version of FileMaker 14 on OS X. We also updated the DragAnDrop example file and made a small improvement to the DataIn example file.   More detailed information on all changes and improvements implemented in Troi File Plug-in 8.0.3 and earlier can be found at: http://www.troi.com/software/filehistory.html     Pricing & Upgrade information   A fully functional demo version of Troi File Plug-in 8.0.3 is available for downloading at Troi's Web site at: http://www.troi.com/software/fileplugin.html   Licenses cost US$ 99 per user. Details on developer licenses and multi-user discounts can be found on our web site. You can order licenses from our web site.   Upgrading to version 8.0.3 is free for all users of version 8.0, 8.0.1 and 8.0.2: version 8.0.3 works with the same registration as the 8.0 version. Users who bought a license for Troi File Plug-in on or after November 1st, 2014 are entitled to a free upgrade to version 8.0.3. Eligible users have been sent a new 8.0 registration. Contact us if you have not received yours.   Upgrades from licenses bought before November 1st, 2014, are available from US$ 59 per user.   Upgrade prices for other licenses can be found on our web site. You can order upgrades from our web site.     Contact information     D. Budding Troi Automatisering   Newsroom: http://www.troi.com/news/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.