So I am new to EasySync, and trying to get the best from it.

I am using it more to replicate a subset of a live database for external clients to access, but they will not be changing anything, so my only requirement is to pull data to my 'Mobile' dataset from my 'Hosted' dataset.

At the moment the live database is approx. 120k records, but this grows daily between 100 and 300 records for the main customer view, and possible 3 times that for associated activity.

I seem to have a serious speed issue, in that trying to sync the mobile version just locks everything up, trying to do an initial sync.

I can manually pull the data over at the end of a day, then mark all of these as EX_Exclude 1 and import them manually into my new portal

Set a OnCommit on the maincustomer view, so any changes will make the ES_Exclude to 0, thus marking these for sync

Question 1: How do I set these back to 1 once the sync is done?

Question 2: Is there a way to Schedule the sync to happen every 15 minutes so it has lessto sysnc, meaning less traffic?

Question 3: If I cannot schedule it, how do I prevent the 2 database's from appearing to lock, preventing users from working on either side, or slowing everything down?

Any help with this would be very appreciated as I am totally stumped at the moment.

EasySync is a great tool for managing changes. Small changes in data transfer easily. It's not really good at loading large data sets over the wire. Do the initial data load on the same network or preload the mobile version with the current data set before sending it to the moblie device. 

The closest thing you'll get to a schedule on fmGo is using Install OnTimer Script. 

Thanks for the pointer on running a scheduled task to update the data, I will have a look at that and see if it meets my needs, any idea how I can write back to the host to update records that have been synced to update the ES_Exclude to 1? 

Jeff,

I've used EasySync extensively. I'm questioning some of the assumptions you've made in the workflow necessary for sync.

"I seem to have a serious speed issue, in that trying to sync the mobile version just locks everything up, trying to do an initial sync."

What do you mean by "locks everything up?"

Then, you start deviating from the intended use of sync. "I can manually pull the data over at the end of a day, then mark all of these as EX_Exclude 1 and import them manually into my new portal"

I suggest looking at what's the cause of your speed issues, before you start going around intended setup. I'm here to help.

-Barbara

Hi Barbara, I think I didn't help with adding too much of my intended process in my question.

I did from some further work on this today that the speed issue is more to do with server issues and network traffic rather than FM itself, although I do seem to have a lot of Dropped connection issues, but these I think are now unrelated to ES.

My intention is to copy of a full dataset as it stands into my portal database, (This is running currently), as a starting point after which I want to set up a sync to it every x minutes, as with the previous reply, I think I can do this now, I just need to test it, my issue now is marking the records as synced (making ES_Exclude 1 instead of 0)

I have a script trigger that updates the ES_Exclude vale to 0 when something is changed, I am now just trying to set them back so when the onTimer script runs it sets these back.

I tried to use an update to the script that does the pull, but this doesn't seem to work as it looks for a value of Blank, and when I tried to change it seemed to stop working entirely.  Any help with this bit would be greatly appreciated..

2 hours ago, jeffwest2 said:

My intention is to copy of a full dataset as it stands into my portal database,

by "portal database" do you mean the client file? *portal is a layout object in FileMaker

You may wish to preload the client before it ships.

after which I want to set up a sync to it every x minutes,

Not recommended. Provide a sync button on every layout and train the user to click it often (show the last sync, show it in RED if it's been past a threshold period). Starting a sync automatically is disruptive, imho.

I just need to test it, my issue now is marking the records as synced (making ES_Exclude 1 instead of 0)

Not necessary. Records that have been pulled will not pull again unless their last modified timestamp (ES_UTC_Time) is greater than the client's last pull timestamp.

Hi Barbara

Thanks again for the reply, it has made things a lot clearer now for me and is greatly appreciated.

In answer to your question, yes, I do me client side, 'portal' is what we have called it internally.

I may very well do a sync button, but was just wondering is a timed sync may also work, I may very well try a combination of both of these for a short while at least to see which will work better, if I do a button I may want to just pull the record at that point (the one that the button is being clicked on), rather than all records.

Am I right in thinking then that in many ways I do not need to worry about the ES_Exclude unless I actually want to exclude a record from syncing across for some reason rather than use it to decide what does needs to sync.

5 hours ago, jeffwest2 said:

just pull the record at that point (the one that the button is being clicked on), rather than all records

You can pull just one record to see if it's updated. Use the $$additional_sync_parameters

5 hours ago, jeffwest2 said:

Am I right in thinking then that in many ways I do not need to worry about the ES_Exclude unless I actually want to exclude a record from syncing across for some reason rather than use it to decide what does needs to sync.

Exactly. The UTC times will only pull what's modified since the last pull.

By the way, the server scripts and mobile scripts are different. You cannot take a copy of the server file and make that the mobile file.

Thanks, as far as the Client/mobile side is concerned, the 'portal' has already been built, and I have already added the 2 different codes into each of the database's, but thanks for the reminder on that one.

I will look at the $$additional_sync_parameters , so thanks for that pointer

I have linked up one of the 2 table sets I will be syncing, so just need to get the other one set, and finish the mass copy of the actual data from one to the other, which is taking a time as, unfortunately, I did not build the first one, and I have far too much data in one table to pull across :(

Also, see this thread: 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By 360Works
      MirrorSync 5 is now available and with it ships a better user experience for your clients! Today, we want to share 3 ways you can optimize your FileMaker sync experience for your users with the lastest version of MirrorSync.
      If you haven't heard...MirrorSync allows you to sync FileMaker Go, FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Servers, SQL databases, and virtually any datatbase you can think of!
      Here are 3 ways you can sync FileMaker and provide a better user experience using MirrorSync 5:
      1. Encrypted Password Storage
      No user wants to repetitively enter their password before a sync! As a convenience to your users, MirrorSync 5 will now store encrypted passwords for your users on the server. Essentially, it stores an encrypted version of the last used password to sync an offline file. In MirrorSync 5, instead of picking between a shared, auto-entered password (less secure) or individual passwords that need to be entered on each sync (less convenient), everyone can use their own password with ease and optimal security.
      2. Fast Initial Sync
      MirrorSync now runs a server-side initial sync! It will save an empty clone of the file, and temporarily host the empty file copy on FileMaker Server where it runs a fast server to server sync of only the selected records you want to sync. This is especially helpful if you have a massive database and only want to sync a subset of records without draining the memory on the local device, such as an iPad or iPhone. Once the sync is complete, MirrorSync closes the file on the server and sends the pre-populated file down to your users.
      3. Monitor Your Sync Statistics
      MirrorSync now reports sync stats to AWS CloudWatch. You can get real-time updates on important metrics such as sync times, warnings, and other notifications. Having this insight at your fingertips will make you instantly aware of issues or difficulties your users may be running into.
      Watch a Video on this Topic Now!
      We enjoy meeting up with our fellow FileMaker Developers at DevCon. Each year, we like to catch up with Richard Carlton Consulting who offers educational and entertaining FileMaker training that will keep you engaged and leave you with the knowledge and tools you need to be an excellent FileMaker Developer.

Check out Richard's video below to see an in-depth explanation and interview on MirrorSync 5 with 360Works President, Jesse Barnum.

Download a free version of MirrroSync 5, upgrade, or purchase here.

Stay updated with 360Works:

• By FM_Newbie
      Hi All,
      Just saw on the FM website for the FM17, it doesn't support client version 14.

If I want to setup a Server - Server Sync solution, Is it possible to do that between FM server 14 and FM server 17??
      thanks

• By 360Works
      360Works at DevCon 2018: Discount Extended!
      We had a great time at the 2018 FileMaker Developer Conference in Grapevine, Texas. Nothing gets the 360Works team more excited than demonstrating our products and meeting other FileMaker Developers! We are pleased to announce that we will be extending our DevCon discount until Friday, August 17, 2018. Enter code DEVCON18 at checkout and receive 15% off of your purchase!

Use the product table below to learn more about your favorite products and take advantage of the discount.
      At DevCon this year, Joe Martin demonstrated the brand new 360Deploy 2 for completely automating deployment of development changes to a production server and Jesse Barnum demonstrated a new version of MirrorSync, version 5, which has more convenience for end users and over 40 improvements to reliability, speed, and stability.

At our booth, the MirrorSync Setup Station allowed many DevCon attendees to return home with a fully functional sync setup and Richard Carlton Consulting gave out free FileMaker 17 training books at our booth this year!
      Click on any of our product links below to learn more or use the discount:
      Product Name Product Description 360Deploy Automated, simple deployment of new database versions Charts Easy-to-use charting for FileMaker CloudMail Send and track email marketing campaigns Email Send and receive text and HTML emails in FileMaker DocuBin Document and digital asset management FTPeek FTP upload and download from your FileMaker database JDBC SQL access with JDBC Compatibility MirrorSync Sync FileMaker Go and Pro on a device without network connection, sync FileMaker Servers, and sync FileMaker with SQL databases Plastic Payment processing plugin RemoteScripter Trigger scripts on FileMaker Pro from the web or IWP SafetyNet FileMaker Server offsite backup Scribe Read and write PDF, Word, and Excel files ScriptMaster Adds many new functions & create custom plug-ins SuperContainer A better container field Web Assistant Access internet resources, URLs, and fill out web forms Web Services Manager Publish FileMaker scripts as XML Web Services Zulu FileMaker calendar sync Stay updated with 360Works

• By 360Works
      360Works Products Tested for FileMaker 17

FileMaker 17 is here, and we are excited for the update. At 360Works, we strive to provide the best possible service and support to our customers and to always keep our products compatible and flexible.
      Testing our plug-ins with FileMaker 17 has been completed with each current version available on our online store. We are happy to report that we do not need to release any new versions of our plug-ins listed below, as the current versions you already have will continue to work. Other products we offer have also been tested, and will work with FileMaker 17.

Last year, we released a major update to our plug-in framework. If you haven't caught up with our big framework change, be sure to check out this article.
      Easy Installation

Install plug-ins with ease using the Install Plugin File script step in all environments. For legacy systems, auto-update is supported as well. Find out more at 360works.com/autoupdate.
      Compatibility with the FileMaker Platform

360Works products are compatible with the following deployment options:
      FileMaker Pro Advanced FileMaker Cloud FileMaker Server: scheduled scripts FileMaker Server: Perform Script on Server from FileMaker Client FileMaker Server: Perform Script on Server with WebDirect, Data API, and XML Web Publishing  
      We are delighted with the continued development and innovation of the FileMaker platform and in the FileMaker community. We are proud to be a partner and trusted resource in the FileMaker ecosystem.
        "We use 360Works plug-ins with our clients without hesitation. They're easy to implement, and work dependably, and KEEP working dependably. Their excellent support is just the icing on the cake."
      —Scott Love, Soliant Consulting
        Current Products and Versions

Product Name Product Description 360Deploy 1.01 Automated, simple deployment of new database versions Charts 2.08 Easy-to-use charting for FileMaker CloudMail 3.08 Send and track email marketing campaigns Email 3.08 Send and receive text and HTML emails in FileMaker FTPeek 2.08 FTP upload and download from your FileMaker database JDBC 2.08 SQL access with JDBC Compatibility MirrorSync 4.0 Sync FileMaker Go and Pro on a device without network connection, sync FileMaker Servers, and sync FileMaker with SQL databases Plastic 3.08 Payment processing plug-in RemoteScripter 2.08 Trigger scripts on FileMaker Pro from the web or IWP SafetyNet 2.01 FileMaker Server offsite backup Scribe 3.08 Read and write PDF, Word, and Excel files ScriptMaster 5.09 Adds many new functions & create custom plug-ins SuperContainer 2.9511 A better container field Web Assistant 2.08 Access internet resources, URLs, and fill out web forms Web Services Manager 1.7 Publish FileMaker scripts as XML Web Services Zulu 2.1 FileMaker calendar sync   If you find a couple of these products to be helpful, you may want to look into the 360Works Portfolio Bundle, where you can obtain the entire suite of plug-ins and add-ons with a savings of 75% off of the full price!
      Stay updated with 360Works
    • By 360Works
      How to Sync with FileMaker Cloud Using 360Works MirrorSync Today we want to let you know that it is completely possible to sync a FileMaker solution hosted on FileMaker Cloud! MirrorSync has been able to handle this task since the release of 3.1. The current version is 4.0 and it remains compatible with FileMaker Cloud.
      FileMaker Cloud leverages Amazon Web Services (AWS) to host your FileMaker solutions in the cloud. Many people are moving to the cloud to cut back on server maintenance time and money. Here at 360Works, we are big fans of AWS - we actually moved all of our hosting to AWS and couldn't be happier. (Jesse Barnum, president of 360Works, presented on the topic of deploying FileMaker Server with AWS at last year?s FileMaker Developers conference.)
      Getting started with MirrorSync for FileMaker Cloud is extremely simple: There's nothing to install and only a couple of steps to get up and running!
      Step 1: Host MirrorSync Elsewhere
      You will need to run MirrorSync on a separate computer from your FileMaker Server, because FileMaker Cloud does not allow the installation of 3rd party software other than plug-ins (MirrorSync is not a plug-in).

Once you've launched your FileMaker Cloud instance, 360Works can host MirrorSync on a managed AWS server for just $29 a month. There are several other approved hosting providers willing to host MirrorSync as well (see documentation). Alternatively, knowledgeable Linux administrators can host on their own Linux instance with Amazon Web Services.
      Step 2: Enable xDBC
      Because there is no XML Web Publishing Engine with FileMaker Cloud, you must enable incoming access (to port 2399) on your FileMaker Cloud instance in order for MirrorSync to communicate with it using xDBC. You can do this in the AWS console, follow along with this short video:

A Few Final Notes
      *You will want to reference our MirrorSync and FileMaker Cloud documentation for complete technical guidelines.
      *Users running regular FileMaker Server on a Mac or Windows computer can install MirrorSync 4 on their own server.
      *We've designed MirrorSync to be something that even a novice user can integrate, but we're standing by when you need more advanced help. If you just want your sync integration to be completed as quickly as possible, we're available to do the work for you directly at our hourly consulting rates. Fill out our message form for advanced help!

Download MirrorSync 4  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.