Server Maintenance This Week. ×

GTRR Bug in FM 16

This topic is 2431 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is something I discovered by accident. The solution is one that was worked fine in FileMaker 13, but appears to break in FileMaker 16.

In FileMaker 13, you can do a GTRR and specify that you want to use an external table's layouts. In this case the "external" table is in another file. When you do that and do this in a pop-up window, the normal behavior, based on my experiences, allows the window to be referenced by name, moved, and resized. It does not appear to work that way in FileMaker 16.

In FileMaker 16, the window will appear, but cannot be moved, resized, referred to by name, or closed. This may be due to having the menus on each window or the external table being from another file - I'm not sure. The work-around is to create a TO for the table in the other file in the local file and re-creating the layout in the local file. When that is done, it works properly.

I'm curious if anyone else has come across this "bug".

Thanks,
--
Michael Frankel
Wizard Consulting Group, Inc.

Is there an AppleScript in involved? This happened to me, because FileMaker has changed how it works with AS. 

I put an example of what you need to do on a Mac.

https://fmforums.com/topic/101881-using-applescript-to-open-a-scriptwindow/?tab=comments#comment-463843

HTH

Lee

Hey Michael,

I'm sure that you have already used the Debugger and Data Viewer to see where these scripts are failing, can you post what you are seeing.

Or, Can you post a copy of the files (see the Anatomy of a Good Topic on how this can be down without compromising your confidential information).

Lee

Hi Lee - 

The debugger did not reveal anything about what was causing the issue. I ran it multiple times and did not see any errors. This is what was troubling to me.

The files are customer files with live data, so I can't post them anywhere. And, since this was an action item for my customer to be fixed, I have already changed the code to work around the situation.

Thanks,
--
Michael Frankel
Wizard Consulting Group, Inc.

This topic is 2431 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.