Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Portal, layout or relationship

crazybake

This topic is 2376 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am struggling with something that should be simple, but cannot figure it out.

Below are three tables: Contacts, MaterialsTransactions, and MaterialsTransactionLineItems

59ebce73cb3bd_ScreenShot2017-10-21at3_43_32PM.png.d6f1cd90f771973d0a7d9dc5a5ca6715.png

Within a layout showing records from the Contacts table, I created a portal showing records from MaterialsTransactionLineitems (so contacts could see each item and not just each transaction)

59ebcef11b3c8_ScreenShot2017-10-21at3_44_16PM.png.888c0990b1cd3ef9be51f813a6421b3d.png Layout = Contacts Table; Portal = MaterialsTransactionLineItems

The field on the left is MaterialsTransactionLineItems::Transaction_fk; the field on the right is MaterialsTransactions::TransactionDate

Given the relationship, why is the date not showing correctly? Instead, just showing first record for all? Is it the relationship, or the way I have created the portal... both?

Thanks

Edited by crazybake
Spelling

I don't quite understand what your tables do, but if you line items table is an atypical line items table, it should be a join table between Transactions and a Material table.

Also the contacts table seems to be connected to the wrong foreign key.  I only say that because it's showing a many to many relationship. 

Edited by Steve Martino

Steve,

yes, I didn't show an additional table, Materials, that is a join table. Not sure what is wrong with the foreign key. The Student ID field is a number connected to Contact_fk, a number, in the MaterialsTransactions table...

Hi crazybake,

1 hour ago, crazybake said:

No auto enter, and both are numbers

I'm not understanding your schema either. How about attaching a copy or a mockup of your file?

See more information about how to attach a file here, Anatomy of a Good Topic when contains confidential data.

Lee

Attached is a sample database, with non-related tables and records removed. It is still a bit hefty, but tried to pare it down for quick review. Guest access is enabled.

When you click on students, I added a red box where you can add a transaction. This is where I am having the issue. A transaction date will be added, but when you close this window, I cannot get the date to show up in the student portal.

thanks

WTC_v_1_2017-18_TEST2.fmp12

Edited by crazybake

1. Try skinnier padding.

2. Your script doesn't check for empty Student ID.

3. Change the graph to add a CREATE relation

skinny padding.png

graph mod.png

Edited by BruceR

Thanks Bruce,

I am not able to download you example, it errors out.

... I guess my understanding of relationships needs work, can you explain why I would require another join table like CREATE, when the relationship between MaterialsTransactionLineItems::Transaction_fk and MaterialsTransaction::TransactionNumber has already been established.?

Edited by crazybake

This topic is 2376 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.