Export FM Data to DXF

This topic is 2323 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I’ve got a FM16 system that converts raw data (dimensions, etc.) into a SVG floor plan and elevations in the Web Viewer. However, my boss now needs me to use this same data to generate a DXF for integration with another system. Has anyone had experience doing this? I’ve been reviewing the DXF specifications, and it seems unfortunately nontrivial to me. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Hi, Lee. AutoCAD definitely accepts DXFs; if I’m not mistaken, Autodesk invented the format. However, I don’t actually need to integrate with AutoCAD; I need to integrate with a different system that the boss would prefer I not identify, as he’s trying to do something fairly new to our industry. That’s why I need the DXF: it’s what this system will accept.

Thanks again!

Hi Otter,

Yes, I know that DXF is a propriety format of AutoCad, 

I have friend that owns a blueprint shop and is a Mac only business. I just called him, got his answering machine, and  the message was he is out until the 13th.

If you don't get an answer by then, let me know and I try him again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 12:59 PM, Lee Smith said:

Hi Otter,

I have friend that owns a blueprint shop and is a Mac only business. I just called him, got his answering machine, and  the message was he is out until the 13th.

If you don't get an answer by then, let me know and I try him again. 

Hey Lee. Have you heard anything?

Thanks so much!

Edited by the Otter

DXF being a text based format (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoCAD_DXF), it's trivial to write a DXF file with FileMaker. The challenge will be building the commands for DXF so it comes out as intended. Considering you can already create SVG, and you're looking to convert the SVG into a DXF I'd use a commandline converter (ie, using BaseElements to invoke the commandline converter from FileMaker) such as https://www.coolutils.com/CommandLine/TotalCADConverter.

I just googled for it, and have no experience whatsoever with it.

• Thanks 1

This topic is 2323 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.