Sign in to follow this  
wedgeman

Layout interfering with OnObjectExit Script?

Am a bit lost on what (I think) should be a quite simple script:

Field 1 has a value list on layout.

Field 2 is a general text field for typed data entry..

My goal is to use Field 1 to trigger/manage a script which does severla things, but then leaves the mouse/selector inserted into Field 2, for ease of use...

So...

When I select an item in that value list, an OnObjectExit triggered script: 

• sets a variable from that, then clears that field
  • inserts a calculated value (based on the variable created) in another field. 
  • Then it SHOULD "go to Field 2"... as in, after the script is done, the cursor should be inserted into Field 2 with a blinking cursor...

My problem is, this isn't working.

the first two parts are working flawlessly - it creates and acts on variables, as it should..
But it refuses to 'go to field' (or "go to object", if i try it that way)..

What's happening instead is this: the script runs, but the selector/mouse jumps on forward to the next object (if that object is in a tab order), or (if NOT in a tab order), it goes nowhere (it operates the script, but dies before setting mouse to the field or object).....

I also tried OnObjectModify and OnObjectSave.... No dice on either.....The mouse simply refuses to "go to field"....

additionally, i tried triggering ANOTHER script (which works on its own) - - simply "go to field 2".. but even that doesn't work..

thoughts?

My guess is that the script (as an OnObjectExit trigger) runs, then FMP assumes that after the script ends, the next object should be selected (rather than ending wherever I told it to end)...

anybody?

Edited by wedgeman

Try putting Exit Script[ 0 ] as the last step in your triggered script.

On 12/20/2017 at 7:51 PM, Fitch said:

Try putting Exit Script[ 0 ] as the last step in your triggered script.

thanks!  that helped.

Actually, i found out that "commit record" is triggering it for whatever reason.  Don't know why.. if I "commit" it won't allow me to then 'go to object xx".... go figure...   but it works now... thanks!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mvoogt
      I have started sending emails using the INSERT FROM URL method shown by soliant here:
      https://www.soliantconsulting.com/blog/html-email-filemaker/
      Emails are being sent out but many recipients seem to be getting my emails sent to their spam folders. I'm curious if this has anything to do with this method of sending emails.
    • By Answers
      Hi All,
      Our database has properties and for each property there are multiple inspections per appliance,  sometimes year to year sometimes quarterly. Anyway, we want the technicians in the field who are using iPads to view the history per property by swiping just to make it simple. Every swipe would be a different inspection for that property viewed in chronological order. Property part is "static" while they "page" or swipe through the inspections.
      I was thinking a slide control would work nicely, and each slide would be a different record for that property. I'm looking for ideas to jumpstart my thought processes,  apparently my brain is having a hard time functioning today (and it's only Tuesday!).  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
      Thank you,
      Caroline
    • By Prasad Khandagale
      FileMaker 17 is launched with the purpose of letting the users do more without spending much time. The new version also works towards its goal of letting the users do more with the FileMaker platform while they are on the go. To know some of it's most popular features read this article.
      https://www.metasyssoftware.com/blogs/filemaker/5-popular-features-introduced-filemaker-17
    • By Stickybeak
      I have been running a document creation and management solution for 2 years.
      My scribe maintenance subscription ran out so I bought a new license.
      Boom the whole things has collapsed.
      Scribe is throwing errors when a field in the database does not appear as a merge field in the document the attached being a typical error.
      This solution is vital to my practice but 360Work have no taken 2 working days with no solution - not responding to my emails when I tell them that their work arounds aren't working.
      This was suggested "ScribeSetErrorCapture(true)" - but that does not even appear in my steps in the script window.
      Utterly frustrated.
      Help!

• By Bentley
      I'm working on a database right now that handles general accounting information for a department of a university.  My current layout looks like this:

Where the left section has buttons to take you to the different layouts and look at various different tables, and the middle column is a scrollable portal to look at all of the jobs.  On the right hand side for the "employees" section, I was able to fit all of an employee's data in that space, so it worked, but each job has significantly more data associated with it and doesn't fit in that space, so I was wondering if there is a way to make that section scrollable, but looking at the same record (i.e. The job description would be at the top, and then some info on what materials and labor have been billed to that job, and then be able to scroll down and have another section with contact info for employees assigned to that job, etc.).  From what I've been looking around at for solutions it looks like this is impossible, but I'm hoping that maybe there's someone out there that's more creative than me!  I thought about making the whole layout taller and then somehow locking the left columns into position while scrolling so that they would be fixed in the viewport, but I couldn't find a way to do that.  Thanks guys!
  • Who Viewed the Topic

8 members have viewed this topic:
    Jim Gill  Lee Smith  Pavlk  ash1474  Fitch  OlgerDiekstra  doughemi  wedgeman 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.