Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Audit log for record ACCESS

cbum

This topic is 2286 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Our institution is now requiring PHI-containing databases to log not just modifications to records, but to log every access/viewing of any record. They want to be able to respond to the question "Who has looked at my medical record, even with no change to the record?".

I am not aware how to achieve this with FM, do any of the add-on programs have such features?

I am facing the forced elimination of a critical database, built over 15 yrs, if this cannot be achieved.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Newbies

In a database where we have a 'view-tracking' requirement, we use a PSOS script that is called on each record load. As parameters for the called script, we pass account name, layout name, layout table name, record id, and a 'description' (a calculation field that pulls together info that, for the table involved, usefully describes the record, e.g. 'John H Smith employment history'). The PSOS script then creates a timestamped log record based on that information.

Hi cbum,

There are many examples of Audit Files / Logs, a lot depends on the system. If you are using FileMaker Server, then Take a look at this video Audit Logs in FileMaker as example, 

Here is a link in the FM Forums, Easy Audit (fixed)

and Subline Audit Log (fixed)

Do this simple find and you will see more hits site: fmforums.com Audit

HTH

Lee

Edited by Lee Smith
updated the links that were broken

Thanks to both - Jim, would to be able to share that PSOS script?

Lee, I don't have access to the Sublime Audit log video. Does it discuss capturing views?

c.

28 minutes ago, cbum said:

Sublime Audit log video

Sorry, two reason.

The FM Forums upgraded its software recently and some of the older information was broken.

Here is the updated link, however I just noticed that it is for subscribers only. There is a teaser video to show you a little of what it does. Sublime Audit Log

I have a couple of more file links if you can find one that works for you.

Lee

Do you know about the open source solution called FMEasyAudit by Tim Dietrich?

Josh Ormond posted an entry 4/2016: "I am in the process of archiving that documentation from Tim's OpenSource demo's he released."

FMEasyAudit _ An Open Source Auditing Solution for the FileMaker Platform.pdf

Files: https://github.com/timdietrich/fmeasyaudit

It looks like it is no longer available, I end up on the Waybackmachine that tells me: "Page cannot be displayed due to robots.txt."

c.

Sorry, the above post was stuck somewhere since yesterday.

I also have wondered about using the script trigger "OnRecordLoad", but I don't have experience creating audit logs, so I don't know how to proceed with the scripting.

I would like the trigger to create a record in a separate log file, with timestamp, ID of record loaded (eg the entry in the ID field of the monitored table), and login credentials of the user viewing the record. Not sure how to have the trigger create a record in a different table/file, and then copy the required data.

Does that sound about right? 

Hi cbum,

I apologize for the links,  I updated those links that were not working.

3 hours ago, cbum said:

Files: https://github.com/timdietrich/fmeasyaudit

It looks like it is no longer available, I end up on the Waybackmachine that tells me: "Page cannot be displayed due to robots.txt."

Tim has stopped supporting his Easy Audit and others, so I'm not surprised that it no longer available at that link. I have attached a copy of his file, without support.

Lee

EasyAudit_Beta_02.zip

I chum,

1 hour ago, cbum said:

Any comment on my OnRecordLoad idea?

Here is a demo by Richard Carlton Consulting, he provided this video. His file shows the use of that trigger, 

On 1/20/2018 at 1:25 PM, Lee Smith said:

Take a look at this video Audit Logs in FileMaker as example, 

This topic is 2286 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.