Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Import data to populated child tables

This topic is 2121 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner in FM, and i'm trying to develop a solution that allows me to import data from a csv file. I have two related tables Customer ("parent") and Alerts ("child"), each one has a primary key and the Alerts table has a foreign key to conect with the Customer table. I have to populated the alerts table from a cvs file that could have lots of records so I want to relate this new data to the right customers automatically when i import it, the new data does not have a field with the customer ID (primay key) only has its name. Could you please give me any advice with that?

Well, you're going to need something in the alert record that matches reliably to the customer; email address?, first three characters of first and last name?

Build a relationship using that and build a UI to see these "potential matches." Have a "confirm match" workflow that sets the CustomerID foreign key.

Thank you for your help bcooney, let me see if i understand, you're telling me that i have to be sure that the cvs file has to have a field that matches with the "parent" table in order to related both tables?. I'm going to check it and i will tell you how it is going.   

This topic is 2121 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.