New FileMaker Server on premise for testing

LS,

We are migrating to a new FileMaker Server 19 as the hardware is getting old. 

Currently we are running Server 14 with web services enabled.

How can I setup the new server to run both on the same network? Can I change the ports without any problem?

Thanks for the input!

There is no limitation to running multiple FMSes on the same network, they can all coexist nicely.  No need to change ports.

So there is probably something more that you are thinking about that you're not saying; what is it that you think that won't work?

Hi Wim,

First of all, thanks for the reply.

I was thinking about servers not showing because of multiple sources using same ports or network traffic from production or test hindering the other server. But if I read your answer correctly, we don't need to worry about issues like those.

Kind regards,

Joost

Each server is addressed - ideally - by its DNS name so routing to each one if you have multiple is not an issue at all.

The only complicating factor is access from outside your network on different names for different servers.  But that really just comes down to how your router can handle that.  There is nothing to change on the FMS side of things.

Hi Wim,

yes, I understood already that external to internal routing is something we have to tackle as well, but our IT-guy can fix the routing in the router.

Again, thanks for your time and response.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By HOnza
      When most of the world is forced to work from home, many things you took for granted can disappear over night. Speed of the internet is one of them, performance of your business critical apps follows very closely. The good news is that most of the custom FileMaker apps out there do not use the full power of the platform and they can be made much faster. So let me share a few tips on how you can optimize your FileMaker apps for working from home over the slower-than-usually internet connection.

Do you know what tools you can use and how you can improve your app's performance to an acceptable level even when connecting from home over VPN?
      For example, one neat trick will make everything appear in the Top Call Stats, not just the 25 top calls...
      Read more in my article with an inspiring 5-minute video
    • By sal88
      Hi all
      This the last thing I need to implement on our Server as per FileMaker's installation and configuration guide:
      Make the virtual memory swap file a static size so Windows doesn’t attempt to adjust it. Use the recommended file size amount
      Am I right in thinking that this is in the attached section?
      If so, on which drives should I be specifying the swap file size? And what would the initial and maximum size be?

Thank you
    • By Joost Miltenburg
      Hi All,
      I added security to limit the DataAPI user from accessing certain records, with the limited option. I tested this while running these files on my HD no server. Worked like a charm. After moving the files to FMServer the DataAPI account can access all record in the table all of a sudden.
      Any thoughts as to why this is happening?
      Kind regards,
      Joost
    • By Bailey
      I need to be able to restart a Windows server running FileMaker server via a script. I would like to run a server side script in the Filemaker Server software.  I was interested in using the 360works ScriptMaster. Any advice, pointers, problems I should be aware of?
    • By John F
      Hello,
      I have a FileMaker server 18 installation that’s crashing about once a week. When I look at the event log for the time of the crash. I see client 1 not responding, client 2 not responding etc. until all clients are disconnected.  All databases show as open in the server console. From a client PC no open files are listed for the host. If I telnet to the server from a workstation on port 5003 a connection can’t be established.   Stopping and starting the database server does not help. Restarting the FileMaker service does not restore operation. The server is still communicating with the network. I can open a web page or browse other computers on the network. Restarting the Windows server restores normal FileMaker operation. My environment is as follows:
      Windows Server 16 Standard Edition dedicated FileMaker server.
      8 GB memory
      80 GB RAID disk drive (40 GB free)
      Indexing turned off
      No third party backup software running
      No AV software running
      Windows File Sharing turned off for all folders.
      Windows Defender Turned off
      IPV6 protocol turned off
      What we have tried so far:
      We replaced the network switch (after the first crash a few weeks ago).
      Tested all databases for corruption.
      Compacted all databases
      Reinstalled FileMaker Server 18

Any insights would be greatly appreciated
      TIA
      John

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.