Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Automate object movement on a layout

This topic is 7260 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This may be a simple question... Is it possible script the movement of an object on a layout?

I'm looking for something like this:

Move/Resize Object [Object Name: <name of object>;

Height: <n>; Width: <n>; Top: <n>; Left: <n>]

Thanks for any insight,

Jeff

I don't know of a way to do *that* -- but if there's a small number of possibilities among which you wish to choose (small & large, or right and left versions of the same field, say), you can probably simulate the same effect by having multiple versions of the object of which only one is visible at any time. Conditional self-joins would be one way to accomplish it.

To do a conditional self-join, have a constant field (auto-enter 1 in every record), and use two (or more) fields which can take a Boolean flag (1) depending on some condition or according to some scripted set-field operation. Then (in FM7) just set up a relation between any record and any other record that BOTH shares the same recordID AND Flag on left =Constant on right.

Now, a related field placed directly on the layout via this relation will show *this very record's* field data *only if* the appropriate flag is positive (1).

Does this sound workable for your situation, or do you really need a flexible move? (And, whatever for?)

I'd like to create a Scheduler program that has the GUI similar to MS Outlook. In this way each appointment is drawn on an underlying grid of "time of day". Also if an appointment is 60 minutes long it will be drawn twice as tall as a 30 minute appointment... hence the need to be able to move/resize a button or field or container.

Attached is a screen shot of what I created in MS Access.

Sample Schedule Dimmed.JPG

Nice GUI, Rockman!

Surely others will know the bottom line. I think FM can color-code background of time blocks pretty accurately, but not neat text-flow with scroll-bars for variable height text-fields... Seems ripe for a plug-in!

This topic is 7260 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.