Server Maintenance This Week. ×

relational? calculation? :(. Newb... Help!!!

This topic is 7248 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have some problem expressing my thoughts and my problems, so plz bare with me,I'll explain as best I can.

I am developing this file (Work in progress(let's call it " [color:"red"] D-file ", and I am trying to bring out information from 2 different files. The first file contains information of many raw goods (e.g: cost; description; vendor; etc)let's call it " [color:"red"] B-File ".The other file calculates the amount of good used in a product (e.g: amount of raw goods used, and other things calculated)-let's call it " [color:"red"] A-file ". On D-file, I am trying to bring out information from "B-file" (by using specify file after i related both of them), and the description from "A-file" ( by using the same method).

Additional Information:

"D-file" has the primary key set as(WIP#)

"B-file" has the primary key set as(PRD#)

"A-file" has the primary key set as(RAW#)

Problem:

"D-file"- It shows the quantity (on qty field) but not the description ((description field) linked to the "A-file") It just shows me nothing but blank!....

Trys but Unsuccessful.

I tried putting a description on "B-file" which specified to the description on "A-file". then I specified description field from "D-file" to the description on "B-file", but still nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

frown.giffrown.giffrown.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Please help!!!!!!

I hope I was very understandable. tongue.gif

confused.gif

Ronnie524,

I do find this very difficult to understand, partly because of your choice of words. Here's what I think I understand:

A-file: records each concern a particular *product* in terms of how it uses certain raw materials

Hi, ronnie! I think I'm going through the same thought process as ES but we all think a little differently, eh? ... Let's see if I have this right...

D = main file

B = raw materials (e.g. clay, w/supplier info) ...................... kinda like an items db

A = products w/ raw materials formula ....................... kinda like an invoice db .........

........ (for any particular product in A there is a description field and a portal showing how many B raw materials are used to make it? maybe 1 clay, 3 wood, 1 metal, etc.; kinda like invoice/order)

Is this correct? Am I correct in my assumption that there is already a relationship between A & B that shows how many B items are used to create an A product?

On D, you would like to show

(1) a description field from A

(2) quantity field (A's portal?)

I think I have misunderstood something, though... yes?

--ST

Let me re-word what I want,

Lets this is Honda Corp database

db "A": raw goods-

-db of ruber:

prodcut #

product vendor

product description

purchase cost/unit

-db of metal:

prodcut #

product vendor

product description

purchase cost/unit

... and so on

db "B": Make of Car

Car ID type: (Integra LX)

-Qty of raw goods needed to make the car:

-Product # (Rubber)

-Product Unit cost (Rubber)

-Qty Needed (Rubber)

-Product # (Metal)

-Product Unit cost (Metal)

-Qty Needed (Metal)

db "C": Production (for example: Company needs 500 Integra LX)

This database needs to determine:

-type of rubber and how much

-Product # (Rubber)

**-Description (Rubber)*******

-Qty Needed (Rubber)

-type of metal

-Product #.... and so on....

**description (Rubber) will not display:

....Hope this help..... smile.gif

It seems you use the word "DB" to mean multiple things: record/file/database. When you say "This is Honda Corp db", I assume you mean you're giving an example, using *records* related to a certain Honda car as an example. You should not have a separate database for Honda.

If Honda uses one vendor for rubber and another for metal, and Toyota uses a *different* vendor for rubber, etc., then your raw materials database should *not* have one record per raw material type; it should have one record per Manufacturer-Vendor-Material-Connection. Is that how you have it?

OK, I think you're telling us that each car-type record has *separate fields* for metal needed, rubber needed, etc.? Do you assume that every item in the "products" database has roughly the same set of raw materials, and Honda never uses two different rubber vendors, or two different metal vendors? (It looks like you set it up so that one field takes the data for how much rubber the Integra needs, and another field takes the data for how much metal it needs. Ideally, you'd have separate "line item" records for each car ingredient, but perhaps what you have is good for your purposes.)

If we assume that's correct, then you need (in FM6) to create many parallel relations, and many fields, to enable file D to show each raw material's description and associated data:

The Product record can have several calculated key fields that combine the Manufacturer of the vehicle (assuming you have a field for that) and the name for a raw material:

This topic is 7248 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.