Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM 4.1 to FM 7 Performance Tuning & Conversion

This topic is 7254 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've worked with an excellent third party''s FM database for a number of years, currently operating under a 9.2 environment with Mac G3's and FM4.1V2. We purchased the product with a number of user licenses. Unfortunately, the owner/developer of the database software has moved on to other ventures and has not upgraded their product to operate in an environment beyond FM5.

Preparing for a migration to a G4 or G5 (ideally) machines, with OSX.2.or OSX.3 environment, I set up a X.2.8 and FM7 testbed. Converting files was successful and I could launch my database in FM7. The following problems were encountered and I would appreciate any suggested specific or general remedies. I sense the need for engaging a 3rd party in concert with the existing database developer. The types of problems fall into two general categories: FM4.1 to FM7 conversion issues and FM7 post conversion database performance issues. As I am not a programmer, but rather an owner of a firm that acquired long ago the usage rights to the database, my formost concern is being able to adapt to an OSX environment, providing longevity to our mission critical database. Note that I have maintained over the years a cordial relationship with the 3rd party database software developer.

Conversion Issues

- The account is my former password. Can I as a user/owner change my account, or will this privilage defer to the administrator/owner of the 3rd party database. I have administrative rights at this point to the workstations only.

- I successfully amended the password used for the entire set of 16 relational databases. What was strange was that while I was performing the password changes, I received messages indicating "Your access privilages do not allow you to perform this action." Apparently, this message was not accurately representing my ability to execute changes. Would these messages indicate any flaws in the initial release of FM7? What is strange is that we always have had user rights in the combined OS 7, 8 & 9 and FM4.1 environment to change our password.

- To consolidate the 16 database logins, I used the option box to chain the logins. Now I can readily open all databases, unintentionally providing such access without need for any login whatsovever. However, at launch, I receive 16 notices indicating that "Your access privilage does not allow you to perform this action." I can still navigate between the databases. Finding warning messages to be inaccurate, I am uncomfortable with the security integrity of my databases.

Performance Issues

- Running a simple query in either of two notes fields within my prevailing OS9.1 and FM4.1 environment, I can render results in a fraction of a second, sifting through 11K+ records. Running similar queries in the same notes fields of my FM7 converted files renders horrific query delays, stretching into minutes. Would this simply be as a result of 4.1 to 7 conversion limitations, which would be expected? Are these typically problems that can readily be corrected?

Again, I appreciate any of your comments or suggestions.

Al Hannenberg

Regarding your speed issues: In FM7 a solution should (at least) work as fast as in FM4. But there have been some discussions about FM7 speed issues in this Forum during the last months. I don't remember all the causes, that were mentioned, but I would start with checking the file references in your converted FM7 files. For details have a look at the technical briefs from FMI ( http://filemaker.com/upgrade/techbriefs.html ). There's also a tool by New Millenium called

This topic is 7254 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.