Logging all users who access a record

This topic is 7211 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I was hoping somebody could help me. Is there a way to log every time that a user accesses a record (reads it). I already am able to log all changes to records (an audit trail) but I need to be able to log simply opening a record in a layout. Is this possible to do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello bakantor,

It is only possible if you use fully scripted (and locked down navigation and interface - and set the scripts to write the user's name into the log entry each time they navigate to a record (by whatever means).

Or, alternatively, if you have access to a script triggering plug-in, you can set an unstored calculation to monitor the current record ID and to run a log script each time it changes. This approach has the advantage that the interface doesn't need to be controlled and scripted in order to capture the navigation information and log users' visits to records.

• Newbies

Thanks for the reply.

I prefer the second approach. With this in mind, I have been looking for a free script triggering plug-in for FM Pro 6 (since this solution will run on MANY machines at our hospital). The only one I have been able to find for Windows is something called Utilix from Abstrakt.com, but their website appears to be down. Does anyone know where I can get a copy; a search of google was unproductive?

Thanks in advance.

Activator is not free. It's shareware.

If you want a free script triggering plug-in that runs on Windows and with FileMaker 6, you might want to take a look at the RunScript offering from Ryan Costello.

You can download it from:

http://www.fptelephony.com/download/ryan/RunScript.zip

The user instructions, such as they are are online at:

http://www.fptelephony.com/download/ryan/pluginInstructions.txt

I have no personal experience with the above plug-in - so consider this to be take-it-or-leave-it information, as I can't offer either an endorsement or a critique. But it *is* free... smile.gif

You can do this with the shell script plugin from Abstrakt.com, plus some clever record-level access calcs. See attached file. Passwords are admin and user. If logged in as user, and navigating the Log Viewer layout, all record views get recorded to an external text file. Requires the free shell script plugin.

RLALog.zip

This topic is 7211 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.