Counting a field with the same text.

This topic is 7214 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to set up a field that will count how many times the same text in one field shows up in number of records in the data base.

Ex. In field "bldg ID" the field has "TGE-HWD" and then in another record there is the same type "TGE-HWD". I want a field that will count this a "2 times" and show that in one record.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

1. Create a relation between bldg ID::bldg ID and name it selfrelation_1

2. Create a new field called ex. cal_occurr

Count(selfrelation_1::bldg ID)

This way you count all occurrencys of whatever content you have in bldg ID.

//thomas

this is actualy quite helpful for the survey I am trying to tabluate.

But here's MY question...

will his work for 466 different records? say I need to know how many times "macy's" shows up in "best department store" as well as "target" "goldsmith's" "Sears"

Hi!

QuinTech have a point, but with my solution you have to flip between records to find all totals of your possible entrys.

If you have a survey that you configured eg. voters can choose between "macy's", "target", "goldsmith's" and "Sear's" it's better to create a new layout called statistics (or something) and then you create 4 global (text) fields. Fill them (with server down) with the options, "macy's", and so on. Then create the relation between the global field and the text field (that containes the option you want to count. Then create cal_occur_macy, cal_occur_target and so on, same as before. These 4 cal_ fields you place on the new layout.

Rgds

thomas

In layout mode, drag a part onto the screen and select Sub-summary when sorted by Best Department Store. Put the field for Best Department Store into that part, plus another field called CountOfStores. This field is a Summary field, count of StoreID (or whatever you're calling your ID field).

Now, go to Browse mode, find all records, and sort by Best Department Store. In Preview mode (and ONLY Preview mode) or on a printout you should see the stats you're looking for.

J

This topic is 7214 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.