Damn the Dock!!!

This topic is 7214 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I have a lovely FMP6 solution that we previously used under Mac OS 9, over the summer we have moved to OS X. Now, every one of my scripts that Maximizes a window causes the resulting window to be displayed behind the dock. Filemaker has graciously acknowledged the problem, but offer no advice or recourse. This has been fixed in FMP 7 from what I can gather.

Anyone found any workable solutions around this problem??

Thanks,

Randy

You can use AppleScript to resize the window precisely.

tell application "FileMaker Pro"

set bounds of window "YourDatabase" to {x,y,xx,yy}

end tell

Where x,y are the upper-left cooridnates (in pixels) and xx,yy are the lower-right coordinates (in pixels)

This is obviously only good for one set screen-resolution. You can also detect the current window size & then resize from there (after you maximize) but that's a bit more complicated.

-Stanley

Hey Guys...

Thanks for all the replies. After some quick playing around with coordinates, the applescript run from within FMP is the bomb!!

Just for the sake of having it documented here in the forums, Filemaker acknowledges the problem that v.5 & v.6 do not respect the dock space on the screen. Using the minimize command works great if your data, in list form, is not "longer" than your screen.

As a lot of people have found the idea of moving the dock to left or right positions is cool in theory, most people prefer it in the bottom position. And trying to explain dock relocation, and hiding to 30 teachers is more than I'm up for currently.

Thanks again,

Randy

You could check where the Dock is, and only run your window sizing when the Dock is on the bottom.

set dock_hidden to do shell script "defaults read com.apple.dock autohide"

set dock_orientation to do shell script "defaults read com.apple.dock orientation"

if dock_hidden is "0" and dock_orientation is "bottom" then

beep -- do your window bounds resize (instead of beeping :-)

end if

This topic is 7214 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.