Easy way to update whilst keeping data?

This topic is 7211 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi

Is there an easy way to upgrade the FMP database at the end user sites, without having to save clone/empty files and then import them 1 by 1? I don't mean from FMP6 to FMP7. I mean just a new version of the same solution, but maintaining the users data.

If there is no easy way, then has anyone tried making a batch file or similar? I have had a look at AutoIt www.autoitscript.com and it looks like it might be up to the job.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

Hello m0n5ter,

There isn't exactly an 'easy' way, but there are a few options.

One is to design your solution so that the data is in a separate file from the interface and scripting etc. This is often referred to as the 'separation model' of development. Then you can hope to drop in a new interface file without touching the data file.

That aside, there are various systems that have been devised to partially or fully automate the process of transferring data between old and new versions of a solution. One of the better examples is from Hi-Voltage and is called 'Update Genie'. Details are available at:

http://www.hi-voltage.com.au/updategenie.php

HTH

FWIW I use a method where all files show all records on closing and all files go to a blank layout as part of their startup script (to prevent auto-opening related files). A conditional statement evaluates whether the file name contains "clone" and whether the file has zero records. If so, it tries to import into itself and save a copy. If not, the startup script continues to a normal layout.

This topic is 7211 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.