Popup window possibility

This topic is 7194 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Been a dabbler for years, but still a novice. I've got this simple project tracking/invoicing app I've built. One of my layouts contains a list of active projects with various data (dates, client name, the usual). But once in a while I need to make a lengthy note to one of my projects. Right now I've made a second line on my layout. But it clutters up the list view, or leaves a blank line when nothing is there.

Is there a simple way to click a button and bring up a popup window so I can load in the detailed notes then close it again when I'm done? Kinda like a web page popup. Is that possible with FM6?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

FM7 can popup new windows for the same file, as well as specify the window size and position.

FM6 is limited to one window per file, so your choices would be:

- Show Custom Dialog, which unlike the old Show Message, allows you to use an input field. Not available in version prior to 6.

- Same as above but with a plugin such as Troi Dialog. This would be more compatible with older versions.

- Open a separate file that stores project notes. This might actually be a nice solution, since it would enable you to keep unlimited notes per project, with other fields, such as date, type, status etc.

- Stay in the same file, just go to a separate "detail" layout that displays the note.

You could go a step further and create a global container field with a "note" icon in it, a paper clip or something. Then create a calculated container that would display the icon if there was any text in the note field:

Case( note, gIcon )

This could also work if you use a related notes file as described above, the calc would simply be

Case( notes::anyField, gIcon) (i.e. your relation is called "notes").

Thanks for your feedback Tom! You have given me some great ideas, thanks for your help. I'm sure an upgrade to FM7 will happen in time, so that might be the easiest option.

I like all your ideas and will definitely try them out. I really like the idea to flag with an icon if a note is there or not. That would be a slick feature.

I can envision something really cool here. I see is an empty paperclip icon/button (for no note) then click on it to a popup enter the text in the note field, close the popup, and the icon/button changes to a paperclip with a piece of paper in it.

Would that be something like (I'm just guessing here):

Case(Note = "", gIcon_off, gIcon_on)

Assuming I make two global container icons one paperclip w/o paper (gIcon_off) and the other with the paperclip with paper (gIcon_on)?

Then I would make that icon a button somehow and run a script to launch a popup window (dialog box or layout or other DB or FM7, etc.)

Am I on the right path here?

You are definitely on the right path. Your calculation is fine, although my preference would be the more explicit:

Case( IsEmpty(Note), gIcon_off, gIcon_on )

...or the inverse:

Case( Note, gIcon_on, gIcon_off )

Alternatively, you could use one global field with repetitions, if you don't want to clutter up your file with a lot of extra fields. In which case you'd have:

Case( IsEmpty(Note), GetRepetition(gIcon, 2), GetRepetition(gIcon, 1) )

I appreciate the help with the better calculations. I have already done some tests with the paperclip idea and it works great!

I downloaded the trial version of FM7 and the "new window" command is exactly what I envisioned. However, I noticed some strange behavior with FM7 on my Mac OSX and some annoying things in my layouts. So I may wait until those bugs are worked out before I migrate.

In the meantime, I am using the Custom Dialog that you suggested (since it was the fastest to set up). And actually, I really like it. I still think I will probably build a separate DB with the related notes (when I get a spare minute) for greater flexibility.

Thanks again! It's nice to know there are bigger brains out there who are willing to share some insight.

This topic is 7194 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.