Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Help Fields with list of value like a scrol bar

Nelson Barros

This topic is 7275 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi to all!

I'm a beginner in File maker, and i'm trying to make my first database.

In that database, i need to put a field with text, but i want do a list with all the possible values for that field showed like a scrol bar (like browsers window). What i need to do? Its possible to do that?

ps: in the profile window there is some like i want for the age.

Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry for my poor english.

Hello Nelson,

The age fields in the forum profile screen are set up as pop-up lists.

You can set up a Filemaker field as a pop-up list or a pop-up menu by going into layout mode, selecting the field and then going to the format menu and choosing 'Field Format...'.

From the resulting dialog, choose the option for a pop-up list from the section at the top, then choose or define a value list to provide the values that the user will select from. wink.gif

Thanks for your help, but i have now another 2 questions, its possible to make in that pop up list more than one choice? Its possible to make there lists conditioneted by an previous field, like, if i chouse a specific coutry, there in the pop up list appear only the citys from that country, and, if i chouse another country appear other list of citys?

Thanks in advance for your help.

tongue.gif

Thanks for your help, but i have now another 2 questions, its possible to make in that pop up list more than one choice?

Yes, it is possible to make more than one choice from a pop-up list. To do this first activate the list, then hold down the shift key while clicking to select multiple contiguous values, or hold the ctrl(win) or Cmnd (mac) key to select multiple non-contiguous values. Once the desired combination of values is selected, press the enter key to accept the multiple selection.

Its possible to make there lists conditioneted by an previous field, like, if i chouse a specific coutry, there in the pop up list appear only the citys from that country, and, if i chouse another country appear other list of citys?

Yes that is possible also. The field in which the first selection is made should be defined as the key field for a relationship to a table where the corresponding values for the second list reside. The value list for the second list should be defined to take its values from the related table via the relationship.

When the second value list is set up in this way, the second pop-up list will show only those values which correspond with the value selected in the first list.

You will find an .fp5 example of this technique available for download from:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos4.html#d1

This topic is 7275 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.