Lookup problem

This topic is 7167 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have two DBs that are happily related. However, DB "A" will not lookup a corresponding field in DB "B". Both are text fields, so there is not a compatibility problem. I have followed Hoyle's rules a dozen times and it just doesn't work. I am a FM 6.0 newbie, so I'm figuring it's me or a problem when I installed the software. When I try to "relookup" the field, it tells me there is no corresponding field in the related DB, even though I have established the link. Help!!! It's driving me crazy.

Hi, EPad3. Is the field on the right side of the relationship indexed? There are certain conditions that cause a field not to be indexable. Go into that field's options, and try to turn indexing on. If you can't, that's probably your issue. If you can, or if it's already on, could you give us an example of data you expect to match that doesn't?

Jerry

• Newbies

I made sure the field was indexed, but still no joy. Here's what I did: I established a relationship between DB "A" and DB "B" and tested it, so I know the relationship works. I then established a text field "Caption" in DB "A" and specified a text field in DB "B" (also named caption) for a lookup target. I made sure that the target field in DB "B" was indexed. When I attempt to "relookup" the field in DB "A" I get an error message that reads: "There are no fields that lookup values based on the field "Caption." I'm stumped.

Just to be clear... what you want is for DBA::Caption to be filled with data from DBB::Caption? If so, then you would have to perform the re-lookup on the key field in DBA (that is, whatever field is on the left side of the established relationship), NOT on Caption.

J

DO NOT do the re-lookup on DBA::Caption. Do it on the KEY field.

The key field is the field you've used to build your relationship. So if the relationship is from IDnumber in DBA to IDnumber in DBB, the key field is IDnumber in DBA (to write it in Filemaker terms, DBA::IDnumber). Since the key field is DBA::IDnumber, you need to click into THAT field and do the re-lookup.

To reiterate, DO NOT do the re-lookup on the field Caption in the file DBA.

J

This topic is 7167 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.