Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Disappearing Data

This topic is 6993 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Jerry,

Sorry for the confusion. This stuff is small scale, so I developed it as a single-user solution. But occasionally the client needs to have 2 people sharing the files to get the project done in time. So when I send them their project, I set it to muti-user so that they can share the files over a LAN with the primary user as host and one guest.

In this case, thought the files were set for multi-user, there was only one person using them on his laptop. No guests, no servers.

Alison, it's hard to troubleshoot this type of problem third-hand, but it's possible there's corruption in file. FM5 and FM6 are cross compatible, so that's not the issue, though you and your client should make sure to update to the latest rev for your versions.

If this is a corruption issue, Importing to a backup clone may be sufficient to fix it, but an export to text then import of that is a good way to clean it up if there's latent corruption in the data itself.

Alison, it's hard to troubleshoot this type of problem third-hand, but it's possible there's corruption in file. FM5 and FM6 are cross compatible, so that's not the issue, though you and your client should make sure to update to the latest rev for your versions.

If this is a corruption issue, Importing to a backup clone may be sufficient to fix it, but an export to text then import of that is a good way to clean it up if there's latent corruption in the data itself.

So how can you say there is only one copy of the file then, if you're posting file around the place by email?

There can only be ONE copy of the file anywhere on the network, otherwise it'll cause problems. Jerry picked it up in the second post in the thread.

That's what the problem is.

So how can you say there is only one copy of the file then, if you're posting file around the place by email?

There can only be ONE copy of the file anywhere on the network, otherwise it'll cause problems. Jerry picked it up in the second post in the thread.

Thanks Vaughan, but they insist that they don't. Even if they did, data has disappeared from a field that was already populated when they initially received the file. So the user cannot be looking at a copy file without data.

Guess I'm looking at file corruption or maybe the user on Win XP SP1 has a font corruption?

Thanks Vaughan, but they insist that they don't. Even if they did, data has disappeared from a field that was already populated when they initially received the file. So the user cannot be looking at a copy file without data.

Guess I'm looking at file corruption or maybe the user on Win XP SP1 has a font corruption?

I've been reading this thread off & on. I like to watch the really odd-ball problems. Most problems usually come from the most obvious source (Ockam's Razor?)

1) Multiple Files: As stated above this can be a real bugger with FM. If the problem is irregular, it should be either this or a corrupt file. The problems with multiple files are so irregular, that you can't just assume it isn't the problem.

What to look for? Have them do a Find on their entire hard drive. Especially watch the Zip Folders. I have a tendency to unzip things funny & get multiple copies. Something to look for.

2) Corruption: Close to being number 1. I don't recall from the thread but have them send you back their copy of the file. If it works fine for you, then it is not like corrupt. Again, worth a try. (Pound on it hard & make backup.)

3) Version Compatibility: While FileMaker is supposed to be backwards compatible from 6 to 5, never assume, especially with FileMaker. They aren't too good about admitting problems. When you get a copy of your Client's file, try it under both 5 & 6 on your system.

4) Fonts: I have had some wierd Font problems with Word, but not FileMaker. My system Fonts actually disappear from Word. Very wierd. But normally, programs have a default font & don't leave out the data. Seems least likely.

Good Luck.

I've been reading this thread off & on. I like to watch the really odd-ball problems. Most problems usually come from the most obvious source (Ockam's Razor?)

1) Multiple Files: As stated above this can be a real bugger with FM. If the problem is irregular, it should be either this or a corrupt file. The problems with multiple files are so irregular, that you can't just assume it isn't the problem.

What to look for? Have them do a Find on their entire hard drive. Especially watch the Zip Folders. I have a tendency to unzip things funny & get multiple copies. Something to look for.

2) Corruption: Close to being number 1. I don't recall from the thread but have them send you back their copy of the file. If it works fine for you, then it is not like corrupt. Again, worth a try. (Pound on it hard & make backup.)

3) Version Compatibility: While FileMaker is supposed to be backwards compatible from 6 to 5, never assume, especially with FileMaker. They aren't too good about admitting problems. When you get a copy of your Client's file, try it under both 5 & 6 on your system.

4) Fonts: I have had some wierd Font problems with Word, but not FileMaker. My system Fonts actually disappear from Word. Very wierd. But normally, programs have a default font & don't leave out the data. Seems least likely.

Good Luck.

Good Luck.

Alison, since you said that the related fields based on the now-empty field in question were blank as well, i would think this is more file corruption than font corruption -- unless there's something about font corruption which i don't understand (wouldn't surprise me) that causes data itself to disappear. Can you see what happens if you have the user recover that file?

Also, if you're going to that length to solve the problem, you might also have the user search their hard drive for filename.fp5, if for no other reason than to get Vaughan and me off your back. smile.gif

J

Alison, since you said that the related fields based on the now-empty field in question were blank as well, i would think this is more file corruption than font corruption -- unless there's something about font corruption which i don't understand (wouldn't surprise me) that causes data itself to disappear. Can you see what happens if you have the user recover that file?

Also, if you're going to that length to solve the problem, you might also have the user search their hard drive for filename.fp5, if for no other reason than to get Vaughan and me off your back. smile.gif

J

J

Thanks everyone for sticking with this!

1. The user's hard drive search showed the 3 related files in the solution I sent him and the 58 sample files that come with the FM6 app. None of the solution files happened to have the same name as any of the sample files.

2. I got the user's files back, but I can't get them to misbehave.

3. Likewise I don't have any problems with the files on FM 6 so far, but I'm still testing.

4. The user is reporting no font problems in any app.

5. All 3 files recovered with no problems.

Just found out that Win XP SP2 contains a fix for "Programs That Run Correctly with Windows 2000 Do Not Run Correctly with Window XP" so will investigate this route. I hope it's not this as the user's corporate policy is not to install SP2 (speaks volumes, no?!)

1. The user's hard drive search showed the 3 related files in the solution I sent him and the 58 sample files that come with the FM6 app. None of the solution files happened to have the same name as any of the sample files.

3. Likewise I don't have any problems with the files on FM 6 so far, but I'm still testing.

Just found out that Win XP SP2 contains a fix for "Programs That Run Correctly with Windows 2000 Do Not Run Correctly with Window XP" so will investigate this route. I hope it's not this as the user's corporate policy is not to install SP2 (speaks volumes, no?!)

Another endorsement for Jerry! Congrats. boing.gif

I haven't seen the c-word anywhere here. Why? I have become paranoid about corrupt files these days; it's almost my first port of call. (... after viruses and aliens.)

I've had funny things happen with XP SP1 (but nothing like this.) I'd rate it even odds with a corrupt file. Suggest SP2.

I haven't seen the c-word anywhere here. Why? I have become paranoid about corrupt files these days; it's almost my first port of call. (... after viruses and aliens.)

I've had funny things happen with XP SP1 (but nothing like this.) I'd rate it even odds with a corrupt file. Suggest SP2.

This topic is 6993 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.