More indexing trouble

This topic is 6537 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Simple problem baffling me. Have a file with 20 layouts. I have a field called "View all layout names" and it is a calculated field which uses the LAYOUTNAMES(fieldname) function. It is blank and is not showing the layoutnames. I have tried every combination of indexing (on, minimal, all), I just can't get it to carry out an index and display the layout names. This was originally a FM6 file. When I create a small test file from scratch in FM8 the layout names do appear. Yet when I do the same in my other file....blank field. Is there any way of forcing an index to be made of the layout names ? I have tried deleting the field and re-defining it, to no avail. Am I missing something obvious ? Thanks for any help offered. Allan

The calc should be unstored (if you want it to update when new layouts are added).

The result should be set to Text.

If it still doesn't work, try this syntax:

LayoutNames ( Get (FileName) )

Another thing worth trying: clone your file (Save a Copy As.. > "clone (no records)") and see if it works in the clone.

Calc is unstored and result set to text.

Using your suggested syntax LayoutNames ( Get (FileName) )

produces an invalid Get function parameter.

No joy with cloning the file either...same result, blank field.

Thanks for your suggestions, any more worth trying ? Allan

Does this one work over there?

Notes:

1. Your calc was NOT set to be unstored.

2. When you clone a file, the name is changed, so you need to change it in the calc too (unless you're using the Get (Filename) syntax).

3. The first character of the file name was a space - this could be the problem with your original file as well.

Cloned.fp7.zip

Works perfectly now, I misunderstood your suggestion to use the GET(FILENAME) function. I took you to mean I was to use the actual filename in inverted commas as in GET("S1andS2PI"), which is why it did not work.

Many thanks Comment for your assistance, it is much appreciated.

Allan

This topic is 6537 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.