IWP Freezing web access

This topic is 6477 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

I'm running FM Advanced Server 8.0v3 on Mac OS X 10.4.6 2GHz G5 1.5GB RAM. It's serving an intranet using Apache on the same machine. Runs fine for days on end then suddenly the Web publishing engine freezes - can't logon via web - and I can't get things moving again unless I restart the machine. FileMaker Clients can still connect OK. Apache can be stopped and restarted. So I tried to stop FileMaker Web Publishing using SystemStarter in terminal and get an error involving eof in wpc_ctl in StartupItems. (I'll write it down properly next time it happens). Any suggestions much appreciated.

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

I would love to know an answer to this. I am considering going to ServerAdvanced IWP because external access to our database is unacceptably slow. (Many summaries and calculations are performed on related files.) Since there is not a demo of ServerAdvanced, I was working with FMP 8.0 and IWPed my solution. I found that if the web user shut their window, or did too many complicated things, they would be stuck in color-wheel land. And, the serving stand-alone unit would be unable to serve and recover. (I have to shut and start again.) If this is the same case with the server software then it won't work for me. Anyone with experience IWPing complicated solutions for multiple web users and having it work beyond basics? Is there more discussion on this problem somewhere?

If you are seeing many slow summaries, you might want ton consider intentionally de-normalizing your data by turning some of your calc fields into stored, triggered auto-enter calcs.

For example, instead of having:

calc field: InvoiceTotal = Sum(InvoiceItems::ItemAmount)

you might do

numeric field: InvoiceTotal = auto enter calc =

Let(

trigger = Invoices::TriggerField;

Sum(InvoiceItems::ItemAmount)

)

Now, you have a sum field which will only update when you change the value of TriggerField. It's like a lookup, but more powerful. It's indexable and searchable.

For this to work, you need to be sure that you know when to update your sums. If data is always changing in realtime, then this may not work.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6477 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.