exporting selected records from portals

This topic is 8612 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a way to export selected records instead of the entire set of records that I see in a portal? For example,I like to export the most recent record that's entered in the portal of a relational DB.

Also, it seems like when I export records into a new .csv file, they always overwrite the existing records. Is there a way to ADD newly experted records, rather than REPLACE the existing ones, on the new file?

The first thing you need to do is have a way to mark the records in the related file. If the solution is single user, you can have a field called "Marked" (in the related file) and set it to a "1" with a button (and script) in the portal row (script is in the main file). In your main file (with the portal) create a field:

Constant (calculation, number, indexed) = 1

Create a relationship between "Constant" (left side) and "Marked" (right side).

After you've marked the records, use a script with the step "Go to related record (show only related related records) using this new relationship. This will create a found set of the marked records in the related file. Run an external script in the related file to export the records.

If you are in a multi-user environment with multiple users marking records at the same time, the method is more complex. (i.e. too long to write up here!)

I'm not aware of any way to append files from within FileMaker other than replacing the existing file with a set of FM records that are the desired appended result. -bd

[This message has been edited by LiveOak (edited October 17, 2000).]

This topic is 8612 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.