Sharing information between two databases

This topic is 8603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

B1 is my first database in which I find:

Country of Delivery

Transport mode

Minimum weight for the delivery

Maximum weight for the delivery

Price of the transport

(I have 600 different possibilities of transport among the world)

B2 is my second database:

Name of the product

Wight of the product

Price of the transport

I want the price of the transport to be calculated automaticaly.

I already manage to call the country and the transport mode in B2 thanks to a menu that calls the data from B1.

But I can't calculate the price of the transport.

Could you help me (I can send through Email my two database for exemple)?

Thanks

Waleran GUINARD

------------------

Firstly, B1 and B2 are the Bananas in Pajamas... "Are you thinking what I'm thinking, B2?" "I think I am B1... it's relational database time!"

(For those don't know them, B1 and B2 were the yellow dudes in blue and white striped outfits in the 2000 Olympic Games Closing ceremony.)

Oh, your question... I almost forgot!

You have two databases. Why? I guess I need to know more about your data model. Why don't you do the calculation in the same database?

Hang on, I see it now. B2 is a database of products. B1 is a database of shipping requests or shipping orders. Good idea, I'd do the same thing. What you need to do is link the two files together -- relate the databases -- so that data in the fields can be exchanged between them. Here s one way of doing it:

Create a productID field in B2, a number field with auto-enter serial number. Use the replace command to generate numbers for the existing records, then change the field option to "prohibit modification of value" so they cannot be changed or duplicated.

Now in B1, create a field productID, a number field but don't auto-enter anything. In database B1 create a relationship to B2 using the productID field in both files as match. (We Australians have been debating the relationship between B1 and B2 for years, ditto for the Teddies. And Bert and Ernie too, for that matter.)

Now because you already have records in your B1 database, the productID match filed is empty. You'll have to manually type the appropriate values into each record.

Ok you have successfully related the two files. You can now use the related fields in B2 to get the values you need to do the calculations in B1.

I'm off now, to have some munchy honey cakes and yellow jelly!

Vaughan

(aka Rat-in-a-Hat -- "Trust me, I'm a Rat!")

This topic is 8603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.