Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Exporting From Mac with ASCII 29

This topic is 8584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need to export 4 fields from FM seperated by ASCII 29, is there a simple way of bringing the data into a repeating field using a calculation? or is there a better way... !

(I'm exporting keywords to Extensis Portfolio 5 from a Mac).

Blue skies!

quote:

Originally posted by Terrell:

I need to export 4 fields from FM seperated by ASCII 29, is there a simple way of bringing the data into a repeating field using a calculation? or is there a better way... !

(I'm exporting keywords to Extensis Portfolio 5 from a Mac).

Blue skies!

Set up a global text field called "gASCII29" and give it the ASCII 29 character. Create a calculation field called "Export_Field" and set it to the following:

Field_1 & gASCII29 & Field_2 & gASCII29 & Field_3 & gASCII29 & Field 4

Then export the records with only the Export_Field included in the list of field exported. You will have a text file with the field separated by the character you want and the records separated by carriage returns.

Chuck

There was a shareware application called "Character Assassin". I've done some searches and can't find it on the internet, but I'll send it to you. It will allow you to paste ASCII characters into FM fields. FM, however, does not pass all pasted characters through to an export. You'll just have to try it. -bd

quote:

Originally posted by Terrell:

Thanks for your reply, my problem is I'm using a Mac and cannot find a way of typing an ASCII 29 character.

Anyone... ?

Since you're on a Mac, use AppleScript.

Let's say that you're using the global field that I had in my example, gASCII29

Create a new script in ScriptMaker and add the Perform AppleScript script step. Type in the following code:

set cell "gASCII29" of layout 0 of database "File.fp5" to ASCII character 29

Run the script and the gASCII29 field will have the character you need.

Chuck

Thanks to Chuck for the suggestions and LiveOak for Caracter Assassin, a handy utility for translating ASCII if you're on a Mac,

If anyone else comes accross this problem on a Mac you can get ASCII 29 by typing ctrl + ], it may not appear but it's there!!

Cheers

This topic is 8584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.