How do I go to a specific layout in a related database?

This topic is 8621 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to develop a database for our afterschool program to keep a record of our tutees and volunteers. I'm having problems with making the database navigable without using the FMP menu. My question is how I can make a button whose action allows me to go to a specific layout in a related database.

Right now, I have the button open the file, but it goes to the last layout and view mode. I know that the script instructions following "OPEN file" will execute in the file where the script exists, but how do I make the script continue in the file I just opened? Thanks for any help on this problem.

quote:

Originally posted by OASES:

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to develop a database for our afterschool program to keep a record of our tutees and volunteers. I'm having problems with making the database navigable without using the FMP menu. My question is how I can make a button whose action allows me to go to a specific layout in a related database.

Right now, I have the button open the file, but it goes to the last layout and view mode. I know that the script instructions following "OPEN file" will execute in the file where the script exists, but how do I make the script continue in the file I just opened? Thanks for any help on this problem.

Well, depending on if the specific layout is static or varying, here is some possibilities. First, have a script in the second database that will take you to the desired layout. After the "Open (file)" Script step in your first database, insert the "Perform Script( External Script ) " step and select the script you just created. Filemaker will display the last active file, so as long as no other steps are performed in the first file, you should end in the second file.

If you must continue to perform steps in the first database, have these steps on a seperate script and call that script from the second database with the "Perfrom Script" step and simply add the Pause/Resume script step or the Exit or Halt Script step at the end of whichever script file that you want Filemaker to display. . . confusing enough for you. . .

If the specific layout you speak of changes depending on information from the first database, well, there are possibilities for this as well. But you would know more about that than i with the little information given above.

sorry so wordy,

yafreax

This topic is 8621 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.