Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Custom Function To get the list of IDs from the current found set

This topic is 3405 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I have written one Custom Function To get the list of Product IDs from the current found set.

Custom Function Name: GetProductIDs

Parameter name : FountCount

GetProductIDs ( FountCount ) =

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If ( FountCount  >  0 ;
GetProductIDs( FountCount - 1 )  & If ( FountCount = 1 ; ""; "¶") & GetNthRecord ( Products::Product_ID ; FountCount) ;
""
)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: "Products::Product_ID" this is my product id field from my "Products" table. You can use any field which you want from your current found set.

In the Calculation Field: just write following to get the result of custom function

GetProductIDs ( Get ( FoundCount ) )

Regards,

Trupti

MetaSys Software Pvt. Ltd.

India

thank you very much for this! I had been using a calculation involving substitutions and value lists in order to generate a list of related records - this is much much better!!! I am in the process of changing over to this in all my dbs - THANK YOU!

Martie

• 1 year later...

Can this be done natively in FMP13 or does this still require a custom function?

And custom functions ARE native.  Just like scripts.  

Your use of "still" sort of implies that you don't want to use custom functions if you can avoid it.   You're cutting yourself out of a lot of functionality if you avoid them.

And custom functions ARE native.  Just like scripts.  

Your use of "still" sort of implies that you don't want to use custom functions if you can avoid it.   You're cutting yourself out of a lot of functionality if you avoid them.

Sorry, what I meant to ask was... Is there a new standard function that would make the custom function referenced by BruceR obsolete? It sounds like perhaps the answer is yes, the 'ListOf' type summary field.

Sorry, what I meant to ask was... Is there a new standard function that would make the custom function referenced by BruceR obsolete? It sounds like perhaps the answer is yes, the 'ListOf' type summary field.

Yes, in the FM 13 era, ListOf is probably the fastest way to gather IDs from a found set (at least the fastest that doesn't mess with the user's clipboard). As Kris and Wim suggested, do check out Todd's Hyperlist module; I believe he updated it after 13 came out, to use "ListOf" when available. In my testing, "ListOf" is several times faster than the pre-13 version of Hyperlist, although that (pre-13) approach is well worth studying for it's brilliant bit of optimized coding. 

BTW, depending on what purpose you're gathering IDs for (e.g., Master-Detail layout or other virtual list-based technique), you may want to pay attention to Daniel Wood's comments (in the Hyperlist discussion) regarding virtualizing FM's internal Get(RecordID) (unstored) rather than a stored ID, at least if your solution is hosted. Gathering a stored value requires that the client machine has all the record data, whereas, gathering an unstored FM Record ID can happen almost instantaneously, long before client has all the record data. It can make a huge difference.

Mark

• Like 1

Obsolete? No.

Not optimal? Perhaps.

Test various aproaches in your application and compare the results.

Data doesnt lie.

Gathering a stored value requires that the client machine has all the record data, whereas, gathering an unstored FM Record ID can happen almost instantaneously, long before client has all the record data. It can make a huge difference.

There are two more options that do not require the user to have all the data:

- using ExecuteSQL()  --> this is automatically executed on the server as long as the user does not have an open record in the target table

- using PSoS

Both require of course that you can reproduce the logic that produces the found set and that may carry too much overhead.  But they are certainly worth considering.

This topic is 3405 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.