Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Random IP address using Open Remote dialog &/or FMServer Adv issues

This topic is 3979 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hiya everybody

I am really hoping somebody has some idea of what is going on here and if there is a way to fix it or work around it. I have two files with various relationships between the two files and as such, opening one file opens the other. No problems there.

I am running Mac OSX 10.7.5, FileMaker Server Advanced v12.0.4.05 and FileMaker Advanced v12.4. All external data Sources are type: FileMaker Details: file:filename.

When accessing one file from the other using Open Remote, such as for importing from one file to the other, sometimes the local server displays as "maximums (10.0.1.2)" which is exactly as I would expect. Other times the local server displays as "maximums (25.76.102.24)". This is not my public IP address.

Opening the other file via Open Remote using the different IP, does of course, create a conflict and shuts FileMaker Advanced down. If I open Open Remote and close it over and over, at some point, the correct IP address displays—very frustrating and very time consuming.

I have been having other issues with the server and as such, I don't know if the two sets of problems are related. For example, the file has full access privileges, yes, the extended privileges are on, yet when opening the files from within FileMaker Advanced, sometimes they open without full privileges, and for all accounts and puposes, open as read only files. This is not consistent, sometimes there are no problems, sometimes it's both files, sometimes it's only one file.

I have reinstalled FMSA to ensure there wasn't any issues with the original installation. I have saved copies of the files, compacted copies and clones. I have also duplicated the files on the desktop. Sometimes if I remove the files from the server (using the Server Remove action, and then upload them again, the problem clears.

One of the files has NEVER, EVER, EVER been closed incorrectly. The other file is an old file that has been crashed and recovered before. We are building the new file to phase out the old file. The old file was almost 3GB (another reason to rebuild)

As is bound to be the case, I have a progress meeting with the client on Tuesday morning. AAAGH!

cheers

linda 

"When accessing one file from the other using Open Remote"

Why are you using open remote in scripts in two files on the same server?

The scripts in either file should be using Open File, not Open Remote.

The Open File script step will list the files which you have created references for.

post-62898-0-05379100-1370802697_thumb.p

One of the files has NEVER, EVER, EVER been closed incorrectly.

Can you expand on this?  Does this mean that if you use the FMS admin console to close the file it does not?  Or when it does and you open it again it reports itself as improperly closed?

• Newbies

"When accessing one file from the other using Open Remote"

Why are you using open remote in scripts in two files on the same server?

The scripts in either file should be using Open File, not Open Remote.

The Open File script step will list the files which you have created references for.

Hiya Bruce

I am not using Open remote within a script to open the related files. Rather, selecting Import records from the File menu throws an Open dialog from which I select the Remote button.

Can you expand on this?  Does this mean that if you use the FMS admin console to close the file it does not?  Or when it does and you open it again it reports itself as improperly closed?

Hiya Wim

The point I was trying to make was that the file has never been crashed. It is a clean build. Yes, I do use FMS admin console to close the file. It wasn't being reported as improperly closed at any point. I empathised it was a clean file to ensure nobody need ask if had been improperly closed at any time.

cheers

Linda

• Newbies
After much angst and a great deal of time experimenting, everything appears to be resolved.

Problem 1 opening with full access privilege set yet not having full access. FileMaker Server appears to have been corrupted. Following many other options, I tried restoring the system from the restore drive. No joy. I tried removing and reinsalling and removing and reinstalling. No joy. In fact it all seemed not quite right and took far too long. I moved the FileMaker Server folders in the library out of the library and reinstalled. BINGO! 3.5 hours of testing with full access EVERY TIME.

Problem 2: I tried the OnyX,. No joy. Jason from FileMaker in Australia did a teamviewer session this morning. Took copies of the logs, screen dumps, etc. coz he couldn't work it out either and he was going to escalate it to the states. Richard you were spot on. The IP address was from the UK, in fact it belongs to the Ministry of 
Defence...now everybody laughing. He was winding up the call saying that it's no longer a FileMaker issue but it will be interesting to find out where it came from and how to get rid of it when I observed it still affected my productivity within FileMaker because of license conflict when FMServer used the rogue IP address. Started another Teamviewer session to demonstrate what I was talking about when Jason noticed another server in the local servers dialog with an IP starting with the same 2 digits. This particular client insists I remote access via Logmein Hamachi which it transpires uses the Ministry of Defence IP. Logmein Hamachi on my menu bar displays as disconnected however, FMServer saw it as connected. Next thing to do is to email the client using Logmein Hamachi to explain to them why it is so damned slow accessing their database because it's having to bounce the info all the way around the world and back again!!!!

Most important of all is that I can be confident the files are in good order and continue the development.

Yay! Much better day for me today  :)

thanks again for your support!

cheers

linda 

This topic is 3979 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.