Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMSA 12.04 Admin Console error

This topic is 3941 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm running FileMaker Server Advanced 12.04 on a Windows 2008 R2 server. Today I noticed that when I start the Admin Console I get an error and cannot manage FMSA:

The database server is not available.

Admin Console functionality is limited to the FileMaker Server Overview.

and the Log Viewer panes.

To use other functionality, the Server Administrator must restart the Database Server again.

This happened before but so long ago I don't remember the solution. I do know that restarting FileMaker will not resolve the problem. I think it is related to a Java update. IIRC, there was some kind of temp band-aid fix that involved stopping all the databases and launching the admin console and then leaving it open and restarting all the databases but again, I'm fuzzy.

I see there's a post in the MAC section with a similar issue (though the Admin console won't start at all), but the solution is specific to MAC. The FileMaker website claims that there is no issue as long as you're on 12.04, which I am.

Anybody know what the issue is and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Here is a windows batch fle we use to close a DB on the server (we are still on v11, you can change the extension to reflect v12, FM has command lines  which will stop the server etc.just do a search for those.

This one will send out a message to all users in the event of a power outage, and the ups starts a shutdown process of the server.

fmsadmin close YourDatabaseNameHere.fmp7 -y -u YourUserNameHere -p YourPasswordHere t30 -m"We are closing down YourDatabaseNameHere due to a power outage, please save your work and exit YourDatabaseName now."

We no longer have any problems, as we stopped updating Java (which is the issue), since the server is not accessing anything outside the network (via the web) we have no need to update Java at the server level. The only time we have to run the batch files now, is when power is lost and the UPS gets to a shutdown percentage.

I know somebody will say that we must update Java, but no we do not. We have not updated Java on any of our servers (7 total) and we have not had a single issue.

The servers and workstations are all protected via a threat management system.

At the top of the Console window is a small icon that resemble a gear wheel.  Be sure that the database server is actually started. The message you got indicates that it is not.  By virtue of your having made it to the Console Window, it means that fmsadmin.exe is running.  So, just start the database service itself.

Steven

You're right, it does appear that the database server isn't running, but if it really wasn't, why would all my databases work? If I click to start the database, I get an error, "Unable to start the database server. Please contact your system administrator for assistance."

I haven't gotten a chance to test it yet, but I did remember how this was resolved the last time it happened. I had to close all databases and shut down the NIC cards. Then, I could load the admin console. Then, turn the NIC cards back on and open the databases. As long as I didn't close the admin console, it would keep working. As soon as I closed it, though, (usually from a server restart) it was back to the drawing board.

One thing that caused me grief was Services.  I assumed that Services had to be running for the Files to be hosted, but I cannot confirm.

I do know that the Console does not work, if the FileMaker Services have not been started.

'fmsadmin' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Did I do it wrong? I opened a cmd window and entered that command.

Welp, I reinstalled Server last night and now I have access. Something must have just gotten nutsed up. Thanks for all the advice!

This topic is 3941 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.