Toggle Button for View as Form-List-table question FMGo

This topic is 2621 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a data base well suited to Form View. Occasionally users will want to view as a table so I placed a toggle button on the layout to take them there.

Is there any user friendly way to get them from Table View to Form View without them having to go to the default "menu" button and then selecting "Form" from the View option ?

Use buttons and Script it.

But can I do this from TABLE view to FORM view. I have a toggle button for FORM view to TABLE view but then I loose the button when it goes to TABLE view

Change the options for the layout.

Layout Mode >> Layout Setup >> Views 

Include Header Parts.

p.s. I usually create a new layout to be used for table view, and remove the views for List and Table view from the original Form View.

Lee

Edited by Lee Smith
add the p.s.
  • Like 1

Hi Nakizimbo,

It is usually best to provide separate layouts for the different views as Lee suggests:

• If a form view contains a portal and you switch to table view, you will only have access to the first related ( child ) record.
  • If you have any buttons in the body of the form layout (or a portal), they will not fire while in table view (buttons will not fire in rows).
  • If you have two copies of the same field on a form (such as a merge block and also a field with a value list attached), both will not display in table view because table view only allows the first of the same field ( based upon its stacking order ).  So if you wanted the value list accessible but it was top in the stack, you will lose it.

Table view itself can also be dangerous because Users can add fields or records easily.  So if you provide table view, control those rights from Security privilege sets and use script triggers when necessary (which DO fire in body of table view).  Attempting to use a form view in table view is not worth the problems it creates since their needs are different.

It is far easier to create a separate table view layout ( if you must ) and issue a Go To Layout [ table layout ] via your button instead of View As [ table view ]. By switching layouts, you can precisely control which fields are displayed on the table view and which can be searched or modified.  List view is better overall since buttons fire in the body but table view allows sorting columns so they each have their benefits, for sure.   ;)

LaRetta

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such detailed advice.  I often look at your feedback you post in this forum here as your comments are awsome and I have learnt so much from you and the other contributors. My database will be soley used on iOS and strange as it may seem, my users won't be adding or deleting records so I have disabled that ability by using custom privilges. They only need one button in table view and that is the toggle button, which I have placed in the header to take them back to Form view. So unless, there are any other hidden dangers that I have not covered my plan is to have the user toggle between Form and layout view. My testing todate on the IOS device has not uncovered any landmines...yet.  Thanks again for your help.  Nakizimbo.

This topic is 2621 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By juli51
      Hi all,

Is there any way to launch a kiosk mode video from FM Go?

I have a customer who has iPads in his shop for the public to search product information ( it's a very simple catalog). When the iPad is idle he wants a promotional video to start automatically and close when someone touches the screen again.

Thanks in advance...
    • By Goetch
      I am pretty sure this is a known bug in FMGo 13, however, I was wondering if anyone might have a work around.  

I am having an issue with list view in a simple FMGo 13 program.  Basically after about 20 or so records the input field of a new record disappears.  Scrolling the screen will almost always bring it back.

The program is pretty simple, 3 tables, 2 input fields scan and qty.  I made the program to help take our physical inventory.  The user is only interacting with the "scan" table.  The two fields are scan and quantity.  Basically I download the program into an iPhone and pair a socket scanner with it.  I have a script trigger that runs on object save on the scan field.  The barcode and based on a preference either a new record is created or the user enters in the quantity.  Everything works great until about 20 or so records are scanned, then the user can no longer see the input field on the bottom of the screen.  Scrolling up usually fixes this.  The program seems to work flawlessly if the layout is set to form view, however, obviously the user does not see the last few scans in this view.  

Like I said I have read that there are bugs in list view.

Can anyone suggest a work around?  
    • By Rote
      Hi,

I have Filemaker 12 server and when using FileMaker GO 13 on an iPhone I am able to connect remotely when on cellular but when I switch to wifi (still entering remotely) it does not "see" the server. (Host is not available)

I have tried this on two separate wifi locations with the same problem. I even tried it on the WIFI network that the server is on with no luck.

Also replicated the same problem using wifi on an iPad. I don't have cellular o the iPad so I couldn't determine if it would see the server

Is it a magical port I am missing that needs to be opened?

Any help would be appreciated.  I am stumped.

Thanks
    • By milanm
      Hi,
      On iOS, i am trying to open the .pdf file stored inside the container field.

The variable $path is created using "Get ( TemporaryPath)"... and than i use "Export Field Contents" with option to open file automatically.

This works great on FM Client device and opens the PDF file stored inside the container field as expected.

On iOS device with FileMaker Go 13 it gives a 404 Error - "File could not be found". Why?
    • By charlie649
      I have a solution on the iPad using FMGo13 and the user likes to let the iPad sleep without logging out.  When the iPad wakes up I have experienced weird problems from, records not saving, data entry not allowed, not being able to connect to host even though the network and the host show they are available. 

If you restart the iPad the problem is solved and everything works perfectly, only seems to happen after the iPad sleeps

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what the solution was
  • Who Viewed the Topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.