Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Search Results Order

pmehta

This topic is 3452 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have created a search field on my database which allows users to search for a particular word on the database, and it will result all the records that match this. However what I want is for the results of the search to be in a particular order. 

I have many different companies on the database, when a user searches for "iPhone", I want the company which we recommend to purchase iPhones from to appear first on the search results. I am not too sure how to implement this. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi, welcome to FMForums!

A few questions:

1. What is the name of the table which holds the search field and is it searching the same table?
  2. Is the search field set up as a global field?
  3. What fields are you searching?  Every field in the table or just one?  Please provide information about the field/s being searched.  Is the field being searched a checkbox or free-text?

Ideally, you would use a global field to hold the User's search request, in this instance iPhone.  You would have a field either as a checkbox or as a *related table.  It would also help to have a screen shot attached of your relational graph (or ideally the zipped file itself).  It is possible that the problem is more in your structure than a search.  The aim is to have one fact per field.  If you have more than one fact in a field, it can be more difficult to pull out what you want and VERY difficult to rank those facts (as you are requesting).

So if you wish to provide more information, we can help you through it.  :-)

* If you have a table of Companies and a table of Products, you would use a join table (maybe called Recommendations) while holds CompanyID and ProductID and possibly a price. 

This topic is 3452 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.