Sign in to follow this  
lee2121

Duplicate current record to another table upon record exit

I have two identical tables only one of them has data inputted into it the other table has no user access.

After a user has created a new record in Table A i want all of the data to be duplicated into Table B and just stored there. This is because Table A can later have individual records deleted and we need to keep a backup of all the data entered into Table A

I did write and export script which exported the record from Table A to excel and then imported the excel file into Table B but this does not work very well over our network.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

​I would suggest you rethink your overall strategy, as it makes very little sense to allow users to delete records but also want to keep them.

Edited by comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Quito
      Hi,
      I want to create a Dropdown List of numeric options to select a range of records.  For example, the Dropdown list would contain:
      -------
      edit...
      Each option would select the next 5;10;20;50 or 100 records to the right.  A Checkbox would be populated (with an X) in the selected number of contiguous records; Then, a Find Selected Checkboxes would return the selected records.  The contiguous selection should be independent of whatever the current state of Found (Sorted/Unsorted) is.
      Any help will be gratefully acknowledged.
      Best,
      Daniel

• By Mel617
      I am new to filemaker and am using Filemaker 14 with starting point.  I am connected remotely to my network.
      I am in the account section of starting point and for some reason when I click the create new record button it is randomly adding data from another record in the database and linking a contact to it. Specifially in the Tabs at the bottom "contacts" "projects"
      Does anyone know how to change this and make the new record completely blank?  
    • By Rook183
      I am sure this is one of those simple ones… that has me bamboozled for nearly 2 days now.
      I need to limit access of my users viewing only a limited set of "Company" records after they log in. The companies that they are allowed to see are listed in each respective user's profile.
      My opening script goes to the user's profile and creates a global variable for each company that they are allowed to view.
      When I go to the "Manage Security > Edit Privilege Sets > Records > Custom Privileges > Limited > Script", and use any of those variables (e.g. $$Company01"), the records table returns no records at all (i.e. as if there were no matches). When I test the script and use text for any one (or several) of those companies by name (e.g. "ACME PTY LTD"), the access rules work perfectly.
      To be clear: The global variables themselves are correct. I know this this because they work in other scripts absolutely perfectly, so the variables DO match the names in the field.
      The script looks like this:
      $$Company = Table Manufacturer or 
      $$Company01 = Table Manufacturer or
      $$Company02 = Table Manufacturer or 
      $$Company03 = Table Manufacturer or 
      $$Company04 = Table Manufacturer or 
      $$Company05 = Table Manufacturer

In every respect, the variable matches the actual text, but I can only imaging that there is a problem with my syntax?

Please advise.

Many thanks
    • By Pyorkie
      Hi
      Anyone have an idea on how to display the Record number in a field?
      I want the field to display the record number every time I got to the "Next or Previous" (scroll through) record.
      Thanks in advance for any help.

pyorkie
    • By Justin Close
      I'd like to hear folks' ideas about the best way to edit some related records in a script.
      I have a layout based in TableA, with 3 portals each showing related records from TableB.  There's a simple relation TO from A to B via an ID from A.  Each portal only shows one record, so I can view 3 records at a time.  There are buttons that set a few fields between records, though, or copy from one record to another.  E.g. a button to assign a name in Record2 to the same name as in Record1.
      My current process is to use an 'Edit' relationship:  TableA is related to a new TO of TableB via a key field and a global-field selector.  So if I want to edit record 2, I set the global selector to 2 and then write to fields through the 'Edit' relationship.  I am also using this 'Edit' relationship to READ data from a record.
      But would it be better to do a variety of 'go to object'...'go to portal row'... steps in the script?  Does it really make a difference?  Or is there yet a better way?  (I don't think that I want to do a new window-find record-edit record-close window sequence.)
      This was originally designed in 13, but I am playing with 14 now, so any options are available.
      --  Justin

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.