Sign in to follow this  
noamb

seeking tutorials for TO's and TOG's

Hello everybody,

I'm just returning to FileMaker development after years away. The last time I developed in FileMaker was... version 6!!! Wow, has a lot changed, and thank goodness it has.

I'm trying to understand FileMaker database schema design. I have a decent knowledge of normalized database forms, but the concepts of having multiple Table Occurrences, and Table Occurrence Groups, are quite foreign to me. I understand what they are on the Relationship Graph, but I don't yet understand how to plan and use them while constructing my solutions.

Can you direct me to some good tutorials on these topics? I imagine I'll need to examine more than one tutorial (and sample files) in order to truly grasp the concepts, so the more the better!

Many thanks!

Hello noamb,

Welcome back to the FileMaker fold.  A lot has changed indeed!

Can you direct me to some good tutorials on these topics?

Here's the tutorial you should start with, by FM Guru Ray Cologon.  I think it's just what you're looking for!

There are others, but start with Ray's white paper.

Then, when you're ready for a slightly more advanced approach, check out Todd Geist's video on the recent innovation of the Selector-Connector model, which builds on some of the concepts in Ray's paper, adding a further level of abstraction and flexibility.  This approach, developed jointly by Todd and Jason Young, has been generating a lot of buzz over the past year.

hth,

Mark

• Like 1

Hi noamb

You posted this in the General Topic for v14, but have listed your version as v9? Please update your profile if you have changed versions.

Edited by Lee Smith

I second Mark's recommendation of Todd Geist's video on Selector Connector model. There's a video on youtube that I found helpful in addition to Todd's video. Matt Petrowski does a good job explaining things for people - such as myself - who are not on quite such an advanced level. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml-WF7qfMB0. 

Ray's paper does indeed look very useful. I'll take a look! I've already watched Todd's video on Selector Connector and I imagine I'll come back to it again after reading Ray's paper. I downloaded and investigated Todd's sample file but I found it was so full of many varied kinds of techniques that I couldn't figure out which was Selector Connector and which was other stuff (like Master List, etc.).

Thanks!

There are these sites too.

http://learningfilemaker.com by RCConsulting

http://www.lynda.com/FileMaker-Pro-training-tutorials/199-0.html by Cris Ippolite

http://dev-www.soliantconsulting.com/soliant-tv By several experts

and there are more. :)

Edited by Lee Smith

What sort of system are you trying to model, and what are some of the tables you plan to use?

Depending on what sort of graph model you adopt, it may make a difference.

I think the standard for Anchor-Buoy is to use 3 or 4 letter acronyms for your table, and then name the TO based on it's position in the TO group. For example, a table occurrence group consisting of People, Addressses and Phone Numbers, where the People TO is the Anchor, I would name People "PPL" (or similar), Addresses "ppl_ADDR"; and Phone Numbers "ppl_PHON". The point being to put the name of the actual table in all-caps, and to prepend the names of the anchor table and any preceding buoy tables in lower case. 

For join tables, I sometimes just use the two names of the tables to be joined as the name of the join table; for example, a join table between people and events I might name "PersonEvents"; but depending on your model, the join table might store additional info and have its own purpose, so you could call it "Registrations" instead of PersonEvents. 

There's website called Filemaker Standards (http://filemakerstandards.org/display/cs/Overview) that has lots of info on coding standards, naming standards, and so forth; but their standards are a little arcane, and from my perspective as an intermediate level developer, somewhat hard to grasp in some respects. 

If I were in your situation, I would be inclined to learn Anchor-Buoy first and get used to that. Then after your comfortable, you could move on to Selector Connector, which actually can be used in conjunction with anchor-buoy, rather than a complete replacement of it. 

Hope this helps.

Tom

Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 2.13.31 PM.png

Edited by Tom R.
Added screenshot of example TOC

Ray's paper does indeed look very useful. I'll take a look! I've already watched Todd's video on Selector Connector and I imagine I'll come back to it again after reading Ray's paper. I downloaded and investigated Todd's sample file but I found it was so full of many varied kinds of techniques that I couldn't figure out which was Selector Connector and which was other stuff (like Master List, etc.).

Thanks!

Start with Ray's whitepaper.  Especially get into a good understanding of A/B.  Todd's Selector/Connector is not in Ray's paper because it is a fairly new approach.  I strongly suggest that you not jump into that one feet first without a solid understanding of where it descends from. 

Edited by Wim Decorte
  • Like 1

Any suggestions on resources for how to name TO's?

There are several different naming-convention approaches that developers have used, not just for TOs, but tables, fields, variables, functions, etc. as well, some a bit more "geeky" and others more slanted toward being "highly readable."  I like the naming conventions and coding practices promoted at FMStandards.org, which tend toward the "highly readable" camp, but YMM, of course, V.

Mark

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By totoleheros
      Hi,
      I am struggling : I have a script using 360Works_ScriptMaster.fmplugin functions. It used to run smoothly with FMP12 and 13. I had to update FMP and now the 360Works_ScriptMaster.fmplugin would not load. I have tried with both FMP14 and FMP15. The 360Works_ScriptMaster.fmplugin is not listed in the pref pane of FMP14/15, while — on the same machine (and the same java 8.121 version) — it is loaded. I have tried to have the file in these directories: /Application/ FMP FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced/Extensions or the ~/Library/Application Support/Filemaker/Filemaker Pro Advanced/14.0 (or 15.0)/Extensions.
      No success. Could someone have a clue about my problem? Many many thanks in advance.
    • By EdwinJ
      We have a script using the 360 Works plugin and it worked for a long time and know we get the message "No login methods supported!". The script is connecting to an exchange server with Imap.  In the script we already use  "forceTrust=True".
      Is there somebody who has the same problem ?
    • By Guy_Smith
      I am trying to set up a database to calculate and report exhaust emissions from diesel engines and am stumped at Step #1:  The infamous Entity Relationship Diagram!
      I am looking at a few thousand engines and need to calculate how much of what kind of pollutants they kick out into the air.  I have spreadsheets that list the Year of Manufacture, the horsepower, the serial number, how long the engine ran during a given year and how much fuel it consumed during that year.  I also have some spreadsheets that list what the Emission Factors, usually expressed in pounds per hour operated or pounds per gallon of fuel consumed, for each of the two dozen chemical compounds I’m interested in tracking.
      Those emissions are relatively simple to calculate:  Multiply the Emission Factor times the number of hours operated (or times the gallons of fuel consumed) and we’re done.  Except for the fact that the Emission Factors are based on the Year of Manufacture and, in some cases, the horsepower rating of the engine, so I have to circle back around to the Engine table:  I don’t know how to connect the emission factor for, say, Arsenic to a specific engine, say a 154 hp Chevy made in 2014,  based on that engine’s year of manufacture and hp rating.
      So my ERD keeps looking something like this:  Engines --->Emission Factors--->Engines   or   Engines ---<  Emissions >---Emission Factors--->Engines
      My computer keeps puking ones and zeroes all over my keyboard when I try either setup in my Relationship Graph!
      The only other way I can think of accomplishing these seemingly simple calculations is to write a boatload of scripts with variables, but I’m not even sure I could come up with all of the combinations/permutations involved.  And, unfortunately, I can’ even spell SQL, let alone know how to execute one of ‘em!
      I have attached a (simplified) copy of the spreadsheets I currently use to better explain my problem.  I hope one of you will find this to be mind-numbingly simple and explain how it should be done.  Thanks very much for your time and consideration.
      Sincerely,
      Guy
      Engine Emissions Calc Sheet MOD for FMF.xlsx
    • By Richmilnix
      My goal here is to write a database with tidier relationships than I've used in the past, so I'm intending to use discrete table occurrences of the same data. Here's the roadblock:
      In layout 2_week_schedule, I have 14 portals that display a staff schedule (two weeks' worth) and can't be edited. My goal is that a logged-in administrator can click on the date field of any one of those fourteen days and go to a layout 1_day_schedule that is displaying the same information, though with more details and one day at a time.
      The underlying table of each layout is the same, though the layouts are based on different TOs.
      I wrote this with a script trigger in the date field in 2_week that fires a script to copy its value as date to variable $date, switch to the 1 day layout, and set the pertinent date field there to variable $date (and then commit).I don't know if it's my error, but I think of variables as being like my computer's clipboard - any value can be copied & pasted to/from. But the script fails with the message The operation could not be completed because the target is not part of a related table.
      I did try a simple redundant relationship (connecting the two pertinent fields), but that was a hail Mary, and didn't do the trick anyway. Is there a better way to accomplish what I want? In short, I want administrator who's scrolling through the existing schedules to be able to look at any date where she wants to make a change, click on it, grab its contents, and be brought to a more flexible interface where its contents get inserted into a portal that will then show her the results.
      This file is web-accessible, so I can post its address if it helps to see what I'm talking about.
    • By cril
      Hi I'm trying to develop an interface between my filemaker database and a SOAP service. No where in the wsdl is there any authorisation so I believe I need to send my username and password before the SOAP envelope. I'm trying to do that with Scriptmaster but there are only three input parameters none of which appear useful for generating or inputting the HTTP authorisation Basic that needs to be in place. I can't see the fedex modules which may have had the parameters I needed. Can anybody help/advise or suggest another plugin I should use.

Many thanks for reading this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.